Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginning to look into one of these lockers more seriously. I've posted up a thread about this on JeepForum, and wanted to ask around here too. I'm wanting all the feedback I can get. I want to make the "right" choice since I only want to do this once.

My XJ is basicly a DD so I want good manners onroad, but want the added traction when wheeling it too.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I ran one (aussie) up front for a couple weeks and then switched to a lockright. For some reason the aussie i had was clunking in reverse. I might have had a bad one or something cuz the lockright worked just fine. I ran lockrights front and rear in the tj for years with no issues. But anyways, the traction you gain is worth it. Either locker will work, since both are the same in the way they function, just designed a little bit different.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. New question...I've been getting advice telling me to put one in front, not the rear since I drive onroad most of the time. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Nope put one in the rear, my recommendation is if you get one in the front make it a selectable locker.
This is a good idea but if $$ is a concern, a lunchbox will do fine up front. It sleeps when you are in 2wd and using 4x4 is it's coffee. It stays locked till you turn off 4x4.

Personally I'd rather run a locker in the back because i get more traction in 2wd. I hate spinning one tire on the road when it's snowing or icy, or the 4.0 is just strutting it's stuff at a red light turned green.

Rear locker = increased traction 100% of the time, increased tire wear, chirping on turns, slight change in direction when applying the gas.

Front locker = increased traction only in 4x4, no function in 2wd, no tire wear.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I love the price and the ease of installation of the lunchbox, but the control from a selectable.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Mudd pretty much hit the main points right on the head.

I'd also lock the rear first then do the front. If you use 4 wheel drive in the winter often you'll be better off with the front not locked. Taking turns on snowy/icy roads with a front locker in 4WD is near impossible, so you'll constantly be shifting in and out of 4WD.

On the street my lunchbox works fine, and it's barely noticeable 90% of the time.

I do agree that a selectable in the front is the way to go, but the high cost is sometimes too hard to handle.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Mudd pretty much hit the main points right on the head.

I'd also lock the rear first then do the front. If you use 4 wheel drive in the winter often you'll be better off with the front not locked. Taking turns on snowy/icy roads with a front locker in 4WD is near impossible, so you'll constantly be shifting in and out of 4WD.

On the street my lunchbox works fine, and it's barely noticeable 90% of the time.

I do agree that a selectable in the front is the way to go, but the high cost is sometimes too hard to handle.
I hafta agree with that (bold). Not impossible but very tricky, especially when you are powering through a turn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts