Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, my parents gave me ownership of our 1996 Grand Cherokee Lardeo. About a month after they gave it to me, I was taking it to go buy some electronics when the Check Engine light came on. I took it in to get it looked at, and they said something was wrong with the Catalytic (Or Catalydic, I'm not that fluent in automotive parts) Converter, so I paid to have them replace it. A week later, the 'Check Engine' light comes on again. I take it back, and now they say somethings wrong with the air filter. So now I'm ticked, if the air filter was busted, why didn't they notice when I was there a week ago? So I pay up, get a new filter, and drive away. The light stays on for three more days and goes off and stays off on the fourth day. I drive the 6-Cylinder version, and was wondering if anyone could tell me why I just had to pay over $700 in automotive repairs? I'm worried that this event could happen again, and while I don't want to fork over another $700, I don't feel like having to deal with the engine exploding...Any advice?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
What was the code it threw? If they thought it was the Cat. then it could have been a faulty O2 sensor. There are two on my 98 and every so often mine will throw the code for the O2 sensor after the Cat.(down stream sensor). That O2 sensor tells the computer if the Cat. is working correctly. I didn't know you would get a code for a airfilter???? It's possible I guess, I've never heard of it before.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
That air filter code some how doesn't sound legit. Next time you get a CEL on, and get the codes pulled, ask them to write down the codes and give them to you. Then bring them here (or Google them) and see what they really mean. I've never seen a vehicle get a CEL/Code for an air filter. How much did they charge you to replace the air filter? If you buy it yourself and install it yourself (which is REALLY easy to do) then it'll only cost a few dollars.

The 02 sensors do get old and will need replacing, and this could've been the cause for the original CEL occurence.

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is that if you do not properly re-install your gas cap after filling up, your CEL will come on and throw a code. The only reason I bring this up, is because when I've improperly put the cap on in a rush, it has taken about 3 days for the CEL to reset itself.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
About a year ago, my parents gave me ownership of our 1996 Grand Cherokee Lardeo. About a month after they gave it to me, I was taking it to go buy some electronics when the Check Engine light came on. I took it in to get it looked at, and they said something was wrong with the Catalytic (Or Catalydic, I'm not that fluent in automotive parts) Converter, so I paid to have them replace it. A week later, the 'Check Engine' light comes on again. I take it back, and now they say somethings wrong with the air filter. So now I'm ticked, if the air filter was busted, why didn't they notice when I was there a week ago? So I pay up, get a new filter, and drive away. The light stays on for three more days and goes off and stays off on the fourth day. I drive the 6-Cylinder version, and was wondering if anyone could tell me why I just had to pay over $700 in automotive repairs? I'm worried that this event could happen again, and while I don't want to fork over another $700, I don't feel like having to deal with the engine exploding...Any advice?
Because you are new. :D

They didn't notice the air filter because the computer wasn't throwing a code for it at that time, that would be my guess. The first thing you should have done when you got the vehicle was get an oil change, change the air filter and make sure all the tires (including the spare) were aired up to the proper levels. (seems strange that a code would be thrown for a bad air filter, I'm betting it was a sensor and they figured it must be related to the air filter)

Spend your money on maintenance of the vehicle first and if you have money left over buy the electronics for it. I mean unless you like sitting in the driveway listening to the killer stereo. :rock:

Check engine light comes on I go to Autozone, borrow their reader. I look up the codes on the Internet and research what I should do to fix it.

I bought a Catalytic converter from Sumitracing.com for about $100. I had it and a new muffler put on my XJ for $100.

Air filter from Wal-Mart is $10. It takes 5 minutes to change it.

Total? A couple hours of my time and $220.

If you 6 cylinder is the 4.0L and less than 200k miles, you shouldn't have to worry about it exploding.

This CAN happen again and again if you don't perform some standard maintenance. Good news is the catalytic converter should be good for 10 years, or so, so you won't have to worry about that for awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts