Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I recently purchased a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport Limited; the same make and model I owned in 2000. Over 200,000 miles, but my mechanic said it was well maintained with no mechanical issues. The owner mentioned the Check Oil Pressure light comes on but it is a fuse needing replacement. I only have the regular key and a nearly destroyed fob to press when starting the vehicle. On Tuesday night, I was in a tornado. I watched the touchdown across the street and a couple of hundred feet away. My Jeep felt like it was lifting up several times and the rain was coming in sideways sheets and the parking lot I pulled into had standing water. The next day, yesterday, it wouldn’t start and the only place that could take it was a chain. The owner called and said he could replace the starter relay to get it running, but that I had 5 or 6 other issues which came up in the diagnostics that needed fixing and leaking from gasket. (My mechanic mentioned the gasket and said it was fine for now). I decided to just replace the starter relay and take it to my trusted mechanic next week.When I picked it up I asked about the fob (I had replaced the battery before I had it towed) and the mechanic said I no longer needed it. After my first stop, it started fine but wanted to die. I kept my foot on the accelerator and let it run for 10 minutes and called the closest recommended shop. He looked under the hood and said one cylinder isn’t firing and it could be a number of things: spark plugs, coil, and I don’t even remember what else. He said whatever it is, the problem is unrelated to being in the high winds and water, more likely related to the work done this morning. I would appreciate any opinions or advice. I am restoring the interior myself, but am clueless with the engine stuff beyond a very rudimentary knowledge. I presumed a wire was loosened; maybe the alternator etc. and that it MUST have been related to the tornado.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
The first thing I would do Janice is get documentation from that chain shop. They are notorious for doing unnecessary stuff for women. Had the same problem when my wife took her car in. In that case I am too big in the chest to get underneath a crown victoria. Turns out in my case an O ring fixed the problem, not a new $500 power steering pump. Also, did you get that fob back? If not, get it back. Getting a new one could be expensive if you wanted it and you might need it if your antitheft system kicks in for some reason. If the cylinder misfire is caused by that shop, threaten to turn them over to the better business bureau and if he balks, do it. If you have documentation from another shop that the first shop caused the misfire, then file in small claims court. No lawyers allowed. It will be interesting what happens from there.

Also, you can get Autozone to read any codes on it for free and you can tell us what they are and we can go from there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts