Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

441 - 460 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
I received a call from Ron today from RMS, seemed like a really decent guy, just wanted to let me know that one of my parts wasn't going to ship out right away due to higher demand, the part being the Yukon zip locker for the d60. I was going to call him anyway to ask about how long it would take to ship parts, but he beat me to the punch.

Since I had him on the phone, I was asking about the locker and whether or not anyone has had any issues with them operationally ever... so for as long as he has known the product, he hasn't heard any complaints from customers at all on them. It makes me happier knowing that I decided to go with the zip lockers as opposed to arbs, especially cause of the price difference! He also said that if I had any issue/questions while installing him to I've him a call and he can assist me with it.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Been a long time. You still there Quicksilver?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Been a long time. You still there Quicksilver?
Its been a minute, had my hands full with life and work. But here I am.

Much has changed for me over the last couple of years, haven't done too much with the jeep except wheel it when I have the time and small items here and there. Work and my new way of life take precedence over many things now, so its been almost a year since I've started building an engine for my jeep, but I just started ordering more items that I needed to squeeze as much power out of it as possible. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #444

So heres a pile of parts i ordered from clegg engine.

Here's the block I sent to the machine shop, came back looking all nice like.

The rotating assembly installed, turned really nice by hand.

Oooooo, shiny!

Had to measure for new pushrods due to the machine work of the block. And yea, I ended up with harland sharp roller rockers, same ratio of 1.6 as the stamped steel ones, the came should be more than enough to make this engine breathe along with everything other mod i have into it.

So heres how it sits even now, though this pic was taken back in March I believe.

Many new parts have been ordered for this engine, and I have more on the way yet.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
Progress has been really slow mainly due to the fact I no longer have a garage to work in, but rather a conex box that has no power in it. I moved last summer across the state, so now I'm back to where my roots are. A pole barn is in the making, and hopefully will be built in the near future, its just a matter of getting a cost for the job and then getting paperwork through the town for the building permit i need. Aside from that, there's one other thing that will keep me from wrenching on the jeep

My greatest creation of all, this little bundle of joy just came about recently, so in several years I'll have a little wrenching buddy to help me lose my 10mm socket, lol.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
So.... specs on the engine build.....

Block was hot tanked, bead blasted, magnafluxed and checked out good.

They also did a line bore hone to make sure the journals were all true.

Block bored over .060", I originally wanted to go .030" over, but the cylinder walls had a little extra wear near the top that didn't get machined out, so that's that.

Decked the block .023" to bring the quench nice n tight, i wanted to go a little further, but the machinist said that would most likely be adequate, im not building a crazy hp engine and theres no need to go further and risk interference, probably could have gone another .007" and it would have been pretty close to a .000" deck.

So with ordering parts from clegg, im obviously building a stroker, so i got a new scat crank, ended up wifh the Icon forged pistons with a 27cc dish, bushed rods which give a full float wrist pin fit, aka, no need to press wrist pins into rods.

Ordered the stage 2 cam kit from clegg and got a bunch of other goodies with that, in the photos, you can see the cloyes double roller timing chain set, which I can adjust the degree of the cam with if I please. The cam has intake lift of .484", exhaust .480" and duration is 215 and 219 respectively at .050" lift.

The head is a stage 3 ported 0630 head from clegg as well, oversized valves, porting and polish work of the pockets and intake exhaust ports, stronger valve springs as well.

I just ordered new covers and oil pan since I plan on slapping some engine paint on the block and head, some of those parts just came in, so I can finally move along a little more with this.

Ordered an aem wideband gauge

Ordered a doug thorley header, 14 gauge 304 stainless steel and ceramic coated exterior. The outlet to the down pipe is actually 2-1/2", though they include an adapter to neck it down to the 2-1/4" stock pipe.

When the time comes and I install the engine and get it running, ill take it to this shop around the corner that can do some nice exhaust work and have em build me a 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back.

I also picked up a 99 intake manifold that I need to clean up, may end up porting and polishing it to match the head, not sure on that yet though.

With everything I've got into the engine, im looking at a SCR of 9.2 estimated and DCR of 7.94. Ill be running premium gas, but im not worried about that. This engine should have a killer amount of torque, and I can't wait to drop it in and get it going!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
I also installed a lunch box locker in the front. This is only to get me by until I can get the time and space to buikd the one tons into what I want. Just for a refresher, I have a dana 60 front from a 95 Era ford, and a Ford 10.5 rear, YAY disc brakes! I have 5.38 gears and Yukon zip lockers for those, its been eating at me seeing all that money sitting there, but patience is key. I want to build it right.

I picked up a lunch box locker for the rear as well, cause why not?

After soaking my air filter for the fifth time and stalling the engine as a result, i finally ordered a cowl snorkel from THOR, trailhead offroad, so that works nice and should protect my stroker well when I get into more wheeling with the jeep.

And there are many more items that need to be addressed with the old apache, shes getting pretty rusty and rough around the edges, more to come later on that.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
I like that pic in the living room. All it needs is a Christmas tree on top of all of it :D

Reactions: quicksilver

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
Veddy nice. Daddy likes!

Congrats on the new little jeeper!

All looking good! 👍🏻

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Thanks all, sorry for the hiatus that I took, life was crazy with the move and the apprenticeship I was in. I finished that and am now a journeyman lineman, not that I'm any less busy but I can shift my focus to life at home again.

So here's this, just showed up on my porch a minute ago. It has a beefy flange at the head side, the adapter flange is also beefy, and i like the three bolt design as opposed to two bolts on the stock flange. The welds look decent and the tubing looks of sufficient thickness, heres to hoping this design doesn't crack like most other headers do.

I took a few weeks off due to the little tyke being born, so I'm using this time to complete some of the longer running tasks around the house, like the rear locker for the jeep. Then I will shift focus to the engine and get that buttoned up finally.

Curious to know if any of you have done any porting on your intake manifolds to port match the head? I'm not sure if its worth my time or not. Reading up onto it, sounds like doing that will help with hp numbers and take away from torque, I'd like to keep the torque up obviously. Any input?

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
unless you're running forced induction, on a 4.0 porting the manifold won't return enough to make the effort worth it.
exhaust manifold btw! best thing I ever did to my motor was my Thorleys.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Wow! I really expected you to stay silent when I bumped your thread a few months back. I can't believe that you still have the Jeep, much less all the parts for it!!!! Congrats on the kiddo and the move. Hopefully you find the time to stick around while life is flying by. I think I speak for everyone when I say we want to see your build progress.

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
I don't get all starry eyed over shiny stuff, but that header, wow! I like it.
I have a horse shoe intake for mine, but since I don't have a good header, just the stock manifold, I couldn't see the benefit. But talking of a tune, it might just call for some bling!
Keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
Yea sorry guys, I didnt forget about yall, just been loaded up with a ton of work load. The apprenticeship was the majority of it since I had actual bookwork on top of work work to keep up with. Things will be different now, ill keep on posting updates as they come.

I hope you all are well as some of the weather lately has been nasty, and it ain't over yet from what I hear... and Superman, I didnt have the email alerts working, but the post must have pinged in my head like a sixth sense, lol.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
unless you're running forced induction, on a 4.0 porting the manifold won't return enough to make the effort worth it.
exhaust manifold btw! best thing I ever did to my motor was my Thorleys.
Yea, im pretty happy with my thorley, read a bunch of negative reviews from people on thorleys customer service reps, and i decided not to let that deter me from a great product.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
I feel like I should get some other items just to cover any potential issues that may arise with the looming engine swap, one of those items is vacuum lines. I have seen search results for this HPSI Silicone Vacuum Hose Kit - Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (1991-2001) | HPSI Motorsports - Performance Parts and Silicone Hose for Street/Race a few times now and am considering purchasing this kit. It would beat out anything else that I have found, including what the box parts stores have to offer since this kit includes two tees that are necessary. The only thing I didnt see included are elbows and fittings for various nipples on equipment under the hood.

Another reason I'm looking for new lines is also due To the 99 intake manifold swap as well, this will make for a cleaner install as well. Anyone have a better suggestion?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Congratulations on the new arrival and your journeymanship. Now the hard work begins on both fronts😉. That's awesome you still have the Jeep. 4yrs from now you'll have a wheeling buddy..... unless Gluck is around , then he's got the wheeling buddy....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Congratulations on the new arrival and your journeymanship. Now the hard work begins on both fronts😉. That's awesome you still have the Jeep. 4yrs from now you'll have a wheeling buddy..... unless Gluck is around , then he's got the wheeling buddy....
Thank you sir, the job really opens up more of what I can do financially now, linemen do alright. The little one will be fun once he can start doing things on his own, although momma fears him going on jeep rides. Lol

I've got too much invested into this jeep to let it go so easily. I cant remember if I ever posted it up here, but I've rebuilt the ax15 thats currently in the jeep, and it shifts real smooth, like butter. I've still got photos of the rebuild, may have to get em in here later on.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
So I didnt get to make it as far as I would have liked to tonight on the engine. I ordered a new aluminum valve cover since the old one was nasty, and the old one had enough clearance to fit over the roller rockers, I figured the new one would too.... not the case after all. I have the spacer needed to allow clearance, I just need to acquire some longer bolts now to make up for the lack of thread reach.

So heres a view of my current garage while I sort out where and when to build my pole barn. Its a little tight in there currently.

Another shot of the engine, only difference is I have the titanium studs installed for the intake and exhaust manifolds. This setup will sure as hell beat the sh!t out of trying to stab some of those bolts in the holes with the intake manifold on in the engine bay.

I also put together the oil pump and was about to install it. Had to rip apart the other engine to get the bolts though. So I just hung it up at that point. Tomorrow ill get the valve cover bolts that I need and I'll also clean up my oil pan bolts, oil pump bolts and intake manifold with the parts washer I have.

Oh, and shout out to boostwerks for supplying the titanium intake/exhaust manifold studs.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Wait! Stop! Since you're at it, you should build 2, then bill me for 1. I like where this is going. The studs are a nice idea for helping with that godawful manifold install. Honestly the removal and install of the manifolds with the motor in the Jeep is the hardest part of a head swap or gasket replacement. Pretty sure my neighbors learned some new phrases while I was doing mine. Are you concerned about the studs in the long-term future? Corrosion and either snapping or backing out? Probably nothing to worry about but studs and I don't get along real well.

441 - 460 of 497 Posts