Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

521 - 532 of 532 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
Well then, i wired up the wideband, finished wiring up the last fan, topped off the coolant and prined the oil pump one last time for 2 minutes. Plopped the distributor down in the hole, properly indexed, and got no fire........

Unfortunately it was snowing today/tonight, and it started to get pitch black when I attempted to start so I couldn't really get into trouble shooting it.

I have election day off, so when I do my civic duty, I'll come home and get into troubleshooting. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge since someone snagged the one I had, just need to make sure I got fuel pressure, I will check for spark somehow, I'm on my own so it makes it a bit more difficult. I haven't checked compression yet, but that ought to be pretty damn good at this point.

One thing that comes to mind since Ive read into this bs, is that another individual had painted their block too, and had no start issues, turned out paint on the block prevented a good ground, though i plugged the hole for the oil dipstick tube bolt hole, i wonder if there is enough paint around it to prevent good contact. The thing about that though is that my gauges at the dash work, all of them, and I had them go out due to broken ground wires for that bolt..... who knows, hopefully its something dumb like this though.....

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
I also never degreed my cam in. I knew I should have done it while I had the engine on the stand, but never got into it then and knew I'd kick myself in the ass if I didn't, cause I'd have the need to check it later on.

We're at that later on point now. Chances are its alright, but I installed a double roller set, which instead of having the timing mark on the tooth of the cam gear, had the mark in the valley instead.... also the crank gear has a bunch of different key ways to advance or retard the cam as well..... I lined up the double roller set with a stock set for comparrison just to ensure I would get the new set lined up correctly and felt fairly confident over it. Yet here is a photo of a cutout degree wheel with my cams specs on it.

I suppose the only thing I'll have to do is pull the valve cover to check this, but its still going to be a pain regardless, though not as painful as having to pull the head. Doesn't stop me from wanting to throw a bunch of s*** around, would have been nicer if the damn jeep just started on first attempt!!!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
So..... it turns out the distrinutor was 180 off. I put the compression tester on after checking everything else, rotated engine by hand and watched crank timing mark, sure as shit, im off 180. More to come in a few hours, hopefully the break in goes flawlessly now

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Just to clarify, you mean the timing between the dizzy and the engine, not the gear on the dizzy shaft that you already moved?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
Just to clarify, you mean the timing between the dizzy and the engine, not the gear on the dizzy shaft that you already moved?
That is correct. But you are also onto something with your second statement as well. I did have to rotate the dizzy gear back again to the original spot. Silly me I guess.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Happened to me on a dizzy replacement. Had to turn motor again, and set and lock the dizzy to 5. Fired like a charm. Glad you worked it out!!:)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
Cam break in was a success, it ran smoothly through the whole process. I believe i may have given myself a vacuum leak, cause in my haste I forgot to hook up the large vacuum line to the intake. Typically its hooked up to the intake box, but ive got that cowl snorkel. I'm happy it runs now,,ecstatic actually. I cant wait to get it on the road now to finish the break in procedure. Need to change oil and filter, then I need to cut a hole in the hood to clear some things.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
Had a big scare, drove the jeep on Saturday and performed a piston ring seating procedure, which is driving from 30 to 50 mph under heavy acceleration for 10 passes. I made it to the 9th pass and after that it started misfiring bad. Wasn't sure what happened, but I had an idea that it may have been collapsed lifters.... it had so much power!!! Why did it have to start acting up!!!??

Well I got back to the troubleshooting today. Compression test on all cylinders again, 150+- 3 psi on all cylinders, which is great since it went up from 125 to 130 before the ring seating. Checked for spark, got that, checked fuel injector signal again since I figures those connectors were the issue again. Sure as shit..... i got the new connectors in today which was great, so I took the time to splice those connectors in tonight. I also adjusted up the fuel pressure regulator to run at 49 psi. Fired up the jeep and she ran strong again!!! Need to tone down the fuel pressure though, afr was at 10.9 for the short duration it was running. But im getting there now! I'll have it dialed in in short order now.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #531

Got out over the weekend and had a chance to run the jerp around a little bit, this thing runs like a top now. Afrs are good while making passes at different throttle openings, lots of torque at the low end. Pulling steeper hills in second gear at low speed are no problem now, still running 3.55 gears and fully locked, so theres a lot of drag and weight to push with all thats been done to this jeep. I have some videos to post, ill get to those later on, since I believe i have to load em up to youtube....

Enjoy the poser picks, lol.

521 - 532 of 532 Posts