Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project Cheap Date

I am starting with an 85 Cherokee Chief, 2.5, AX5. Picked it up for $175 under the impression it had a blown head gasket, upon further examination..the number 2 cylinder wall had a crack in it. So I picked up a wrecked 84 Waggy with a good 2.5(hopefully).

As of right now, the 85 has been stripped of its engine as is the 84. The engine is sitting on the cherry picker waiting on a clutch before getting dropped in the Chief. I don't have any pics right now, but should have some tomorrow.

After getting it running next on the list is getting the bumpers, sliders and wheel hoops mounted along with the 5.5" RE lift I picked up. It's a long list but one that needs to be done! Pics to follow!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the pics! They aren't that great because I was in the cave...but you get the idea.

The baby 2.5L, ready to go back in.

Test fit the wheels/tires just for shits n' giggles.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really....thats cool! I love rare vehicles. I won't be able to work on it at all this weekend though, got friends visiting. But next week, it's on like Donkey Kong!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm hoping that as well...guess I will find out! I figure if it doesn't, then there will be another project in the works....small block!!

The wheel hoops bolt up between the front/rear bumpers and the rock sliders as protection and frame stiffening. I don't have them in my possession yet, but I will get some pics when I do. I need to sand and paint the bumpers and sliders prior to install. But it will be documented here.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that was part of the reason I got. First it was dirt cheap and it looked relatively rust free.

The underside is a bit undercoated with lube, but thats to be expected from a 24 year old rig. I am very excited to get it done, but the wife and kid keep me away from it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I got the engine finally bolted back up to the trans tonight.

Hopefully tomorrow get the motor mounts and accessories all bolted up. Then the fun task of going through all the vacuum lines and getting rid of the BS.

I also picked up a Smittybilt XRC8 on the cheap...$200 cheap!! And it's never been out of the box.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got more done to it today, got the accessories, intake, starter on. Need to get my fab guy to plug a hole in the exhaust and pick up some vacuum plugs and it should hopefully be running next weekend.

BTW, whats the length of 4.0 front DS? Either auto or manual...doesn't matter. I have the ill-fated CV style that I know is going to break my first time out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IT'S ALIVE!!! WOOHOO!!

Got it running today, still a few odds n ends to button up. Took a minute to get it going, but started up like a champ.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so I got the U-bolts from Jake awhile ago and haven't really updated this. I got the old leafs off and starting bolting up the RE bits, but the lack of one bolt sleeve paused that. Now that it's found, I am hopefully going to be allowed to work on it tonight. I will take some pics too I guess.

Although I do see a coolant leak on the ground but can't firgure out where it's coming from. I'm realling hoping it's not the water pump, but it would be my luck if it was.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, last night was productive. Got the rear all mounted up and back on tires. Again, thanks Jake for the ubolts!!!! Took off the flares although I think it's funny looking, 5.5" lift on 31's really didn't require it but what the hell. haha

Still need to bleed out the brakes though I am going to wait until the front is done. Tonight I am going to start tearing into the front end and hopefully get it mostly done as long as the CA bolts don't give me problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts