Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Right off the bat one of the pros is the comfort versus the XJ. The coil spring suspension is flexier and gives a much better ride quality. I also like the v8 option.

Cons? 42re transmission. Also the fact that some are optioned with cv shafts instead of standard axles, and some come with the quadra drive instead of a proper transfer case. It is my understanding that a ZJ with this option cannot be locked.

The only other thing that would concern me is the amount of options. Jeeps are not exactly known for their awesome wiring, and a ZJ has a butt load of "extra" wiring.

But find the right one and I see it as a strong contender for an XJ alternative.

I would buy one if it had the np231 t-case and no 42re tranny.

I don't know much about the WJ so can't really comment on that.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
not again!!!

kyle is getting a zj!! :p

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had a GC before my XJ. I do like the coils all the way around, but in my experience the 4.0 isn't enough power for what I like. Didn't hardly go anywhere at the sand dunes (thats a must for me) :D I know there's the V8 option but I trust the 4.0 and didn't want to pay the high gas $$$ Just my $.02

·
Registered
256 Posts
For me the pros would be comfort/interior and coils all the way around. The cons would be the look, im not a huge fan.
I can't speak from experince about riding a modded GC becaus I have never been but the stock ride and interior is just amazing,I definitly like the GC better than my old Dakota already.I wanna keep and upgrade the interior to luxury as possible because it is my daily driver and a part time off-roader and most of my time will be spent driving,so I wanna keep the ride as comfortable as possible.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hmmm... Pros... MUCH better ride, The 5.2l is the engine this Jeep was designed for. THe 4.0l just doesn't have enough power for a vehicle this heavy. The interior seems enormous compared to the Cherokee. For the driving I do the NP 249 is the perfect transfer case. My ZJ is my DD and needs to cope with our less than great snowplow drivers.

Cons... Interior electronics.. Jeep isn't known for them and the GC has WAY too many. All that plastic body cladding, just stuff to get ripped off and it eats up your wheelwell space.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm... Pros... MUCH better ride, The 5.2l is the engine this Jeep was designed for. THe 4.0l just doesn't have enough power for a vehicle this heavy. The interior seems enormous compared to the Cherokee. For the driving I do the NP 249 is the perfect transfer case. My ZJ is my DD and needs to cope with our less than great snowplow drivers.

Cons... Interior electronics.. Jeep isn't known for them and the GC has WAY too many. All that plastic body cladding, just stuff to get ripped off and it eats up your wheelwell space.
I have heard of a LOT of electronics problems when it comes to the GC. Jeep isnt known for them at all.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Cons- electrical and the 42re Junk box...
Pros- Size, coils, ride,

The 4.0L isn't all that bad offroad but sucks on.. And the 5.2's seem to get better gas mileage. There great wheeling with the wife and 3 kids in it.

If I have my way I want to build another, but it will be a '98 with the 5.9L, waggy 44's front and rear, D300 T-case flipped on a Claytons Long arm kit..

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cons- electrical and the 42re Junk box...
Pros- Size, coils, ride,

The 4.0L isn't all that bad offroad but sucks on.. And the 5.2's seem to get better gas mileage. There great wheeling with the wife and 3 kids in it.

If I have my way I want to build another, but it will be a '98 with the 5.9L, waggy 44's front and rear, D300 T-case flipped on a Claytons Long arm kit..
That would be a very interesting build indeed, are you going to make it a reality?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
coils all around... better seats,, more comfertable

·
Banned
851 Posts
I have heard of a LOT of electronics problems when it comes to the GC. Jeep isnt known for them at all.

electronics problems are mainly on the '93-'96 model after that the GenII's '97-'98 most of those problems are gone.. I think that's cause the electrical is straight out of a Dodge. Were as the '93-'96 are straight from AMC..

Little known fact the ZJ was designed by AMC back in '83 to be released as a '87 model. It was suppose to replace the XJ, but when Chrysler bought Jeep and it was than decided to be a UP Lux model in the line up..

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I can get working I am... The 5.9 models are starting to fall in price(thank you gas prices) and I'm starting to find them from $2500 to $4500
Seems about right, you are going to be able to get those vehicles for dirt cheap because of the gas prices.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Seems about right, you are going to be able to get those vehicles for dirt cheap because of the gas prices.
Really!?!

Have yall seen gas prices latley. The bush administration finally has beaten the Democrats and got gas back down to 2.15 a gallon here in Ky.

Go George W.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
He has a lil Toyota Camery with a 18ft car hauler, like he said he only pulls it about 6 miles each way every sat night through the racing season

1 - 20 of 28 Posts