Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of my son Ethan and I last Saturday down at Haspin. Him and I have had a "rough" go of it for the past few years. He started handing with a couple of punks and got on the wrong track. Not crime in anyway, just hanging with the wrong crowd.

I'm proud to say he has got himself straightened around, and has become a good kid...er...young man now. He'll be 18 in October. I guess we both have matured, me as a father, and him as a young man. We both missed out on so much. At 52, I hope we have plenty of time left together to catch up.:thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm a proud Dad!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Here's a pic of my son Ethan and I last Saturday down at Haspin. Him and I have had a "rough" go of it for the past few years. He started handing with a couple of punks and got on the wrong track. Not crime in anyway, just hanging with the wrong crowd.

I'm proud to say he has got himself straightened around, and has become a good kid...er...young man now. He'll be 18 in October. I guess we both have matured, me as a father, and him as a young man. We both missed out on so much. At 52, I hope we have plenty of time left together to catch up.:thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm a proud Dad!
My two "adult" boys are 22 and 21. I told them one day that I understood if they didn't feel like spending time with me, or talking to me. I was their age once. I told them I loved them and really wanted to spend time with them, but I would leave it up to them. Then I reminded them that my Dad died when I was 24 of lung cancer on Father's day, so you never know how long your parents would be around!

I don't smoke like my Dad did and I'm in good health, so I'm not too concerned about it. Besides I know their weak spot. Guns! All I have to do is ask them if they want to go shoot, and they'll say yes, or figure a way to do it. They'll even pay for the lane for themselves.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We spent time deer hunting several years ago, also shot alot of 3D. He is an excellent shot with a bow, hell he can outshoot me...IF he could keep his anger under control. He is a VERY driven person. He could not handle if he wasn't "perfect" all the time. He's also a good shot with a slug gun and muzzleloader.

He just "got away" from hunting as there were other places his interests went. I hope we can get out and hunt again this year together.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Fire - that's really great to hear. I'm 22 and don't have the best relationship with my father. My family went through some rough times while I was in college, and I grew apart from my parents, unfortunately. In the past year my parents and I have gotten closer and our relationship has began to get better, so we're all happy. It's great to hear stories like this, it gives hope to those who may be going through those "stages" in life. :cheers:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Fire - that's really great to hear. I'm 22 and don't have the best relationship with my father. My family went through some rough times while I was in college, and I grew apart from my parents, unfortunately. In the past year my parents and I have gotten closer and our relationship has began to get better, so we're all happy. It's great to hear stories like this, it gives hope to those who may be going through those "stages" in life. :cheers:
I'm going to sound like an old man but, no matter what a child can say, or do for no matter how long, you never stop loving them. At your age...no offense, please remember that.:thumbsup: All the best to you and your family.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I'm going to sound like an old man but, no matter what a child can say, or do for no matter how long, you never stop loving them. At your age...no offense, please remember that.:thumbsup: All the best to you and your family.
Tell that to my father that left me when I was three and I have never heard from him again, and yes I have tried over the years. He has never even seen his granddaughters and they are 13, and 11

I am glad about you and your son, I hope the best for both of you. I am always happy to hear about families getting back together :)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Tell that to my father that left me when I was three and I have never heard from him again, and yes I have tried over the years. He has never even seen his granddaughters and they are 13, and 11

I am glad about you and your son, I hope the best for both of you. I am always happy to hear about families getting back together :)

Melissa I would be willing to bet a dollar to a donut hole that your dad left your mom and you were not the cause. It was between the two of them and you just felt that he left you. His loss of you was just the price he paid to be free from your mom for whatever reason. It may have been his fault, or hers, that I don't know, but sometimes a high price must be paid for the freedom to move on.
Do not blame yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Melissa I would be willing to bet a dollar to a donut hole that your dad left your mom and you were not the cause. It was between the two of them and you just felt that he left you. His loss of you was just the price he paid to be free from your mom for whatever reason. It may have been his fault, or hers, that I don't know, but sometimes a high price must be paid for the freedom to move on.
Do not blame yourself.

When I got my divorce I was so depressed because I couldn't be there to raise my two boys, I didn't want to see them. I just hurt to much. I did see them of course, but it was still hard. I think this is a male approach to things like this, it's really hard to understand and I was in the middle of it.

I can't say I agree with him NOT seeing you though. He should have. Any child of mine would know me and know that I cared about them.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts

That sucks. There are parents out there that are complete **** but from what I learned from experience is that you can never make progress in life when you don't let go when others have wronged you. Believe me, I know. Both my parents are/where alcoholics and abusive but I don't hold it against them. My mom died last year and that's what really put things in perspective for me. If you only focus on the bad in a person then you yourself will never be able to become a better and happier person. Grudges are a ****.

Glad to see you and your son getting along firehawk :) Jeeps are definitly a great way to spend time together. I wish my dad and I could spend time together. We used to dirtbike together and hunt, but he is getting too old for that now.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Do not blame yourself.
When I got my divorce I was so depressed because I couldn't be there to raise my two boys, I didn't want to see them. I just hurt to much. I did see them of course, but it was still hard. I think this is a male approach to things like this, it's really hard to understand and I was in the middle of it.

I can't say I agree with him NOT seeing you though. He should have. Any child of mine would know me and know that I cared about them.
That sucks. There are parents out there that are complete **** but from what I learned from experience is that you can never make progress in life when you don't let go when others have wronged you. Believe me, I know. Both my parents are/where alcoholics and abusive but I don't hold it against them. My mom died last year and that's what really put things in perspective for me. If you only focus on the bad in a person then you yourself will never be able to become a better and happier person. Grudges are a ****.

My dad is a sore subject, but what I said earlier I was being nice.

I tried over the years to see him, then when I was about 12 he called out of the blue and asked if I would like to come and spend some time with him, I of course said yes and was over the moon. He said he would clear his schedule and call me back with a time. I waited by the phone for four days waiting for him to call me, I never even left the house I was afarid that I would miss his call. After that I lost faith that he loved me. Then at 15 I got a post card that he was in Disneyland on his honey moon, and had gotten remarried.
I tied still over the years to see him or even contact him, He got my graduation invite, and my wedding invite, never heard from him. When my Girls were born I tried yet again to get in contact with him, with no response. I sent him cards at his every birthday, fathers day, and christmas. I gave up about 6 years ago and I only know that he is still living through my grandmother ( His mom ) Without contact or any explanation for his actions I feel that the next move if any has to be from him. I still of course love him and always will, but at 32 ( Almost ) 29 years without a father I really do not think I can ever forgive or forget.

On a brighter note I don't dwell on the past often but live for the future watching my babies grow up :D :D ( This picture is a couple years old, but I still need to transfer the rest over from my old computer )

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

Those are some cuties.

Well "as you know" there is no excuse for years of ignoring you. You did all that you could. Frankly I'm ashamed that any male would act that way towards his child.

I'm sure you'd like to know why he acted this way. My Dad was at home each and every day. He worked on the house, mowed the yard. I would go over to him and try to tell him something or show him something and he wouldn't even look over at me.

My Mom and I went out to eat, church, movies, shopping, all without him. He didn't want to go. So even though my Dad was there he wasn't.

Do yourself a favor and track his a$$ down, and go see him face to face. Yes chances are good that you'll be disappointed, but face him and ask him why. My first sentence would be "What the HELL is wrong with you!?!?!"

·
Premium Member
954 Posts

Those are some cuties.

Well "as you know" there is no excuse for years of ignoring you. You did all that you could. Frankly I'm ashamed that any male would act that way towards his child.

I'm sure you'd like to know why he acted this way. My Dad was at home each and every day. He worked on the house, mowed the yard. I would go over to him and try to tell him something or show him something and he wouldn't even look over at me.

My Mom and I went out to eat, church, movies, shopping, all without him. He didn't want to go. So even though my Dad was there he wasn't.

Do yourself a favor and track his a$$ down, and go see him face to face. Yes chances are good that you'll be disappointed, but face him and ask him why. My first sentence would be "What the HELL is wrong with you!?!?!"

Funny thing is that I know exactly where he lives, his address, phone number and e-mail address. He lives only four hours from me in Washington, but pride and rejection has kept me from showing up on his door step. I will one of these days face him, but not yet.

Where do you come up with your little images, they are keeping me in giggles :D

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Funny thing is that I know exactly where he lives, his address, phone number and e-mail address. He lives only four hours from me in Washington, but pride and rejection has kept me from showing up on his door step. I will one of these days face him, but not yet.

Where do you come up with your little images, they are keeping me in giggles :D
Well when my Dad was laying in the hospital bed dying, I really couldn't speak to him, I would have choked up. So I asked my then girlfriend if we could name our first child after my Dad. She agreed. I told my Mom and she told him. I'm glad I was able to communicate this to him before he died. Fortunately, in a way, we knew he was dying so I was able to do this. I am fearful that the longer you wait the less chance you'll have to find out just why he did what he did. There were several questions I would have liked to ask my Dad, but couldn't.

You should do what is right for you, of course. I'm just guessing that you are I were/are in similar boats.

Thanks! I love to make people laugh or at the very least say WTH? I did some digging around on the Internet and found them. That LMAO is really funny.

I like this one, but I doubt I'll ever get to use it...

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Well when my Dad was laying in the hospital bed dying, I really couldn't speak to him, I would have choked up. So I asked my then girlfriend if we could name our first child after my Dad. She agreed. I told my Mom and she told him. I'm glad I was able to communicate this to him before he died. Fortunately, in a way, we knew he was dying so I was able to do this. I am fearful that the longer you wait the less chance you'll have to find out just why he did what he did. There were several questions I would have liked to ask my Dad, but couldn't.

You should do what is right for you, of course. I'm just guessing that you are I were/are in similar boats.

Thanks! I love to make people laugh or at the very least say WTH? I did some digging around on the Internet and found them. That LMAO is really funny.

I like this one, but I doubt I'll ever get to use it...

Your right I would hate myself if he passed away befor I ever found out why he did what he did. I think I will have to go for a drive up to Washington, even if it doesnt go well. Thank you for what you have said, I really thought it didn't bother me anymore until now.:eek:

I like the Chuck Norris what ever there called, you will find the perfect time to use it I am sure :D

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Your right I would hate myself if he passed away befor I ever found out why he did what he did. I think I will have to go for a drive up to Washington, even if it doesnt go well. Thank you for what you have said, I really thought it didn't bother me anymore until now.:eek:

I like the Chuck Norris what ever there called, you will find the perfect time to use it I am sure :D
I'm sure I don't have to tell you, you being a girl and all, but take the grand daughters and a camera. NO MATTER what happens make him take a picture with them. You can always have them wait in the car while you are chewing his
, then take the pictures and leave.

I personally think that if he is confronted by all this he will man up (for the moment) and embrace you guys.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I'm sure I don't have to tell you, you being a girl and all, but take the grand daughters and a camera. NO MATTER what happens make him take a picture with them. You can always have them wait in the car while you are chewing his
, then take the pictures and leave.

I personally think that if he is confronted by all this he will man up (for the moment) and embrace you guys.
I had not thought about pictures, that is a good Idea and something that I really need to do. My girls need to meet their grand father even it it is only once.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts