Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the middle of pulling the trans. it is an 87 xj ax5 tranny.

the problem is i think there is a small special bolt on the top passenger side that is the only thing holding it in. can anyone confirm this, and or give suggestions on the easiest way to get to it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
AX5 - 4 cylinder engine?

I know the inlines use an "external Torx" head screw for the upper bellhousing scews, and it sounds like the four-poppers may as well. If so, you'll need an E12 socket to get the thing out. I got a set of them from Lisle Tools at Sears for a reasonable price.

The screw should have a standard thread (again, for the six, it was 3/8"-16,) so match the underhead length with a hex head screw, make sure it's got the same thread and pitch, and throw that E-Torx screw away.

You can recognise an E-Torx screw easily - the wrenching head looks like a Star of David. Only it's not a socket - it's a protruding head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a inline 6 does that mean it is a ax15? and if so does anyone know if the input shaft is the same size as the ax5.

thanks Josh

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nope, '87 inline 6 means you have a Peugeot BA-10/5 and the input shaft is not the same size as the ax5

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nope, '87 inline 6 means you have a Peugeot BA-10/5 and the input shaft is not the same size as the ax5
He's right on the first point, the second may be up in the air (WRT the AX-15, not the AX-5.)

Putting an AX-4 or AX-5 behind the inline six isn't recommended - it's just not strong enough. The AX-15 is a perfectly acceptable replacement, and here are a few notes on the job...
  • The input spline size and count are both the same
  • The pilot MAY be the same - I know the early 1990 is
  • The trans/tcase assembly is a direct swap
  • You'll need to move the crossmember back if you do, but the holes are already there
  • The very same clutch kit may be used with AX-15 thru 1993 - you have to swap hydraulics for 1994-up
  • You'll have to extend the hole in the transmission tunnel for the shifter rearward if you swap to the AX-15
That's what I can think of offhand, from having done the swap myself (88XJ. Went through four BA-10's before I managed to source an AX-15, and I ended up with an internal version (1990) and an external version (1994.))

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
AX5 - 4 cylinder engine?

I know the inlines use an "external Torx" head screw for the upper bellhousing scews, and it sounds like the four-poppers may as well. If so, you'll need an E12 socket to get the thing out. I got a set of them from Lisle Tools at Sears for a reasonable price.

The screw should have a standard thread (again, for the six, it was 3/8"-16,) so match the underhead length with a hex head screw, make sure it's got the same thread and pitch, and throw that E-Torx screw away.

You can recognise an E-Torx screw easily - the wrenching head looks like a Star of David. Only it's not a socket - it's a protruding head.
the 2.5 uses all 18mm bolts no external torx

·
Registered
607 Posts
the 2.5 uses all 18mm bolts no external torx
Interesting. 18m/m heads - what's that work out to, something like an M12-1.5?

Odd that an engine design that predates the 242ci slightly should use ISO screws for the bellhousing, while the 242ci itself uses SAE (3/8"-16 and 7/16"-14.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts