Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
It's fairly straight forward. Beef up the frame and weld on some leaf hangers. If you have any buddies that have done the IFS conversion on toyotas, they should be able to help you.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
You could probably use YJ leaf springs. I'm not sure of their spring rates, so I'm not sure if they'd be enough to hold the front end up properly, but in terms of length, they'd probably work well. Your best bet is to probably PM or read up on some write-ups that others have done. I know I've seen them on Pirate and Jeep Forum, I also want to say that there's one in the "Builds" section of CT - but I'm not sure.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I would start of with YJ lift springs and go from there. You can always add or remove leaves to give you proper height and spring load.

·
Registered
307 Posts
you can use pretty much any leafs you want...the thing to look at is flex via spring-rate. you can build the mounts to give you free lift.

this for the tan one? or a future project? it's a pretty simple conversion, and you use a ton less parts by going that route in the end. plus it's easier to mount full-width axles but then you need to take into account axle-wrap issues caused from torque too.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
you can use pretty much any leafs you want...the thing to look at is flex via spring-rate. you can build the mounts to give you free lift.

this for the tan one? or a future project? it's a pretty simple conversion, and you use a ton less parts by going that route in the end. plus it's easier to mount full-width axles but then you need to take into account axle-wrap issues caused from torque too.
Eh, axle wrap isn't really a huge concern on the front.

Just curious, what makes you want to run leafs in the front?

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh, axle wrap isn't really a huge concern on the front.

Just curious, what makes you want to run leafs in the front?
he summarized my main reasons. plus it would be one of those random conversions i would like to try. that and i could get cheaper lift from finding used leafs from the JY

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't do this swap if you are looking to cut costs. You are going to have to reinforce the unibody, which is going to take metal plate. I would use 1/8" or 3/16". 1/8" is easier to press against the unibody for a cleaner weld. Also hangers are about $60 if you buy them. Plus you have to weld on new brackets on the axle.

I mean, if you want to do it then go for it, but i just don't see the logic behind it for your application.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't do this swap if you are looking to cut costs. You are going to have to reinforce the unibody, which is going to take metal plate. I would use 1/8" or 3/16". 1/8" is easier to press against the unibody for a cleaner weld. Also hangers are about $60 if you buy them. Plus you have to weld on new brackets on the axle.

I mean, if you want to do it then go for it, but i just don't see the logic behind it for your application.
Yeah, based on what I have read it makes more sense to change the leaves in the back to coils. But I'm a noob.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I was talking about this not long ago on the mj fourm and alot of people say that its not worth it but I realy did not pay much attention to that because of the reasons I wanted to do it. manly same as you. cheep lift. well I bought the 94 with the 6" lift so I scraped the idea of leafs up front for now.
look at the comancheclub.com and do a serch.
lots of good info and builds tha people have done. ther is a guy doing a build on there now and he is going to run 42's
Here is a link ComancheClub.com • View topic - MJ#2 build w/leafs...NEW PICS

a good doner is the fullsize cherokee's. you get good springs and d44 as well. you would have to do a soa but you may beable to use some of the mounts off the fullsize aswell.
something to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
well jake will kinda luck out on the steel...I get it cheap/free, or already have it so with the whole 5 minutes between our houses I'm sure he can nab some.

and...I already have an entire frame plate template for the outer side, bottom, and inner side of the frame rails from the rear footwells on up to the front...

jake, I say do it!

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Ok sounds good. Be sure to post pictures :cheers:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
im leaning towards doing it to since i hace a already stripped dana front axle. i think i would use more s10 leafs in my case.
i dont see how it would cost more, someone said it would cost more. raising a jeep correctly in the front over 6" cost big money. the control arms alone are almost 700, and really long arms are better and they cost way more, springs, trackbar, pitman arm, sway stuff it adds up fast leafs like stated u can add some, move the mounts, do whatever to get the lift u need

1 - 17 of 17 Posts