Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Stock Cherokee 4.0 automatic NP231. If I put 3" coil spacers and 3" blocks on the rear with I need to do anything else? Do I need longer sway bar links? Brake lines? Do I need to change the pinion angle. I am looking to just lift the jeep 3". I don't do much wheeling, I just want to get a bigger tire under there for looks and a little more performance when I do drive across the farm and through the creek. Are coil spacers and lift blocks all I need? Thanks!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
if your going with that the only thing besides that would be longer shocks and sometimes brakelines i have a 3 on mine and i got new coils addaleaf and shocks 4 240 bucks from roughcountry lift i recomend it you can find it on jcwhitney.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
3 inch blocks, and 3 inch spacers(if you can find them) are really the outer limit of what is safe. Avoid them at all costs....
I REALLY do not recommend a 3" spring blocks, You WILL get tremendous spring wrap on acceleration and braking. Stability will NOT be good. This will cause wheel hop and REALLY mess up the pinion angles during acceleration and braking.
Saving money on suspension can REALLY lead to problems.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
and ones that have a 3 lol

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
:agree:

Honestly, i would try to stay away from spacers up front. Go with 3" coils if you can. Really, i'm not that impressed with my 3" spacer lift.

Talked with the previous owner who lifted my Cherokee and i'm installing the 3rd replacement track bar this week-end!

As far as the blocks go, i have no opinion. However, i would trust the people that have more experience with axle wrap than me. You should probably go with the AAL" as they suggest???

I have longer ProComp shocks and my stock lines seem to work fine... so far.

;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ive seen a guy run blocks with a traction bar and he said he had no problems.. But I dont know about the long term situation of this, he sold his Cherokee.
Even if you do this, you are spending money on the traction bar which could have gone to the 3" coils, or into making a bastard pack....

·
Registered
13 Posts
wow thats asking for trouble there bro. i have allways been told to never go bigger than 1" block on back. you'll have spring wrap like crazy. but if it works and you have no probs then that would be a cheap lift good job. i paid $800 for my Rusty's 4.5":rock:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Spacers are bad dude. I know, trust me. Rusty's sells 3" lift coils for 99$. As for the back I have done a 2" block w/shackles on an xj and never had any warp problems, just depends on the jeep I guess. Def don't use spacers up front b/c it = a shitty ride and if you flex to much they will fall out. good luck.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
unless if you trim alot off of your fenders, you wont get much more of a tire in there with spacers. Small flex and your panels look like potato chips...

·
Premium Member
11,622 Posts
1999 Stock Cherokee 4.0 automatic NP231. If I put 3" coil spacers and 3" blocks on the rear with I need to do anything else? Do I need longer sway bar links? Brake lines? Do I need to change the pinion angle. I am looking to just lift the jeep 3". I don't do much wheeling, I just want to get a bigger tire under there for looks and a little more performance when I do drive across the farm and through the creek. Are coil spacers and lift blocks all I need? Thanks!:cheers:
Avoid 3" blocks. It's a waste of time and money. You will get 3" from them BUT the problems that will pop up a little later will make you regret doing it this way. Save up about $300 bucks and get RC's 3" lift and do it right. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,153 Posts
It is cheaper and better to go to the wrecking yard and get some S10 springs and make a bastard pack for the rear lift. Then take the little bit of money you save and get some 3" coils that are the same length as your current springs. Then you can save on having to get new front shocks. Then all you have to do is get new shocks for the rear and lower the rear bump stop and you will have a really good suspension that won't give you problems.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice guys. It wouldn't cost me anything to build a 3" spacer for the coils or the rear. We have plenty of scrap 2x4 aluminum block and steel laying around to make the front coil spacers as well. Thats why I was asking. But, say I got the 3" coils, and made a bastard pack....what else do I need to consider? Do I need to build some longer sway bar links? What about the pinion angle? Does it need to change? Do I need an SYE for 3" of lift? I am a drafter, and I am trading work for a machinist at work. I make mechanical construction drawings and models using SolidWorks Software. I am making my friend a full set of construction drawings and a 3d model for an s-10 4-link suspension. He will do whatever I need to build my lift. So, if I buy the 3" lift coils, and make a bastard pack, what else is there for him to fabricate?

·
Registered
51 Posts
seriously i would stay away from spacers blocks and AALs but definatly dont get 3 inches youll bounce down the highway like a pinball.

·
Premium Member
9,153 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. It wouldn't cost me anything to build a 3" spacer for the coils or the rear. We have plenty of scrap 2x4 aluminum block and steel laying around to make the front coil spacers as well. Thats why I was asking. But, say I got the 3" coils, and made a bastard pack....what else do I need to consider? Do I need to build some longer sway bar links? What about the pinion angle? Does it need to change? Do I need an SYE for 3" of lift? I am a drafter, and I am trading work for a machinist at work. I make mechanical construction drawings and models using SolidWorks Software. I am making my friend a full set of construction drawings and a 3d model for an s-10 4-link suspension. He will do whatever I need to build my lift. So, if I buy the 3" lift coils, and make a bastard pack, what else is there for him to fabricate?
If you use a Skyjacker or Rancho type front coil that is the same length as the OEM front spring, only stiffer, then you will not need to do anything to the front. With the rear, you will need a longer shock, so you might consider bar pin eliminators, which he could make for you and a 2" block to space down your rear bump stop.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, just found out my first baby is on the way! Maybe I should re-think putting any money into the Jeep for now. I always have the 1970 Chevelle SS to play with. I think for now I will take my rear leafs off and have them reconditioned and do a 1.5" block in the back and a 1.5" spacer up front with a taller tire and call it a day.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Congrats to ya, DAD!!!

Well, just found out my first baby is on the way! Maybe I should re-think putting any money into the Jeep for now. I always have the 1970 Chevelle SS to play with. I think for now I will take my rear leafs off and have them reconditioned and do a 1.5" block in the back and a 1.5" spacer up front with a taller tire and call it a day.
Naw... Really, go ahead and lift it like you want to! Money comes from the strangest places, ya know?

Besides... You can always get a 2nd or 3rd job to support your XJ habit!!!
:rofl:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't put 3" blocks or coil spacers on an XJ. I have done 2" coil spacers on my XJ's twice - once on each rig - with no ill effects. The great thing about this is that you retain the stock ride up front because the springs are the same.

As for the blocks in the rear, I definitely wouldn't go with 3" blocks. If you're leaf packs are even sagging a little, then get this idea out of your head because the blocks will only make the sag worse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my jeep with 3inches of lift only needed a rear brake line, TC drop and shocks. I later put on sway bar drop brackets for the heck of it, but it didnt need it before. No pinion adjustment or sye for only 3inches. I maybe could have even gotten away w/o TC drop but i'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts