Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I have a 2000 Jeep XJ it has been a project rebuild. Everything. So here where I am. When I was connecting the exhaust bolts broke. So I had to take off intake and get to bolts. Now after that I put the intake back on and together. After putting it back together when starting it the idle immediately races up over 3,000, so I will immediately shut it off so it wouldn鈥檛 keep climbing. I was told I missed the dowels on the intake or it wasnt seated. I have taken the intake back off and put it back on. I do have new IAC valve, map sensor. Most all sensors on the build are new. Once I got it back together and started it again I鈥檓 back with the motor races once it fires over and starts. I do have codes. Codes are as follows; P1391 manufacturer control ignition system or misfire. P0505 Idle control system malfunction. Prior to taking the intake it was running without racing at startup and having to shut it off before racing to high. Can anyone shed some possible light on what it could be? This is racking my brain 馃

Super Moderator
Are the sensors you replaced from a parts store or from the dealer? Some cheap parts store parts can be bad out of the box.
Make sure you put all the vacuum hoses back on and check that you don't have a vacuum leak.

Registered
I agree with the intake not being seated. Remove the intake, clean out the dowel holes, brush off the dowel pins, get new gaskets if yours look scratched, pinched, or damaged, and reinstall. I think you have a leak somewhere that you need to get sealed.

Registered
I echo what they said above, you have a big vacuum leak somewhere and/or the manifold is not properly seated. Even though you re-did it once already, gonna have to do it again. Did you follow correct torque pattern on the manifold?
Also triple check all the vacuum lines and elbows that connect to the manifold. The elbows will deteriorate and crack and mess things up too. But the instant race in RPM is telltale sign of manifold not fully seated.

Registered
Time for a smoke test.

Registered

1 - 6 of 6 Posts