Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1992 jeep cherokee laredo, i have the stock head unit and i want to switch it out, but none of the wiring harnesses or adapters ive bought have worked so im biting the bullet and going to directly wire it to the jeep. I have 2 head units a Sony x-plode i got off quadratec and a JVC i bought at walmart that i had in my last car. I bought a wiring harness for the JVC and i hooked it all up and it worked then i turned off the jeep put the panelling back on and then it never worked again. The stock radio works but i just cannot get a radio to work with a harness in that thing, but the stock radio always works no matter what, im lost. the harness worked the first time i used it then as soon as i shut off the car it never came back on. (im not stupid i did check all the fuses and none of them are blown) helpppppppp please

·
Registered
302 Posts
My suggestion, having owned my own car audio business is to go to your local car audio store and ask them to help you. If they're good people and worth giving your business they'll be happy to help. I used to wire a stereo for free if someone purchased the harness. I would wire the factory harness to the aftermarket for free, but if they wanted a full install it was $45. It usually worked out pretty well and all were happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i havent been able to find any audio stores except best buy and they want somewhere between 100-130 dollars which is a bit pricey when i just spend a couple hundred on a new head unit. Hopefully i can find someone who can help me out, but that was my mindset...just take it to the pro's, im so lost right now i think theyre the only ones who can help haha. Thanks for the advice it was much needed. thank you sir.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Greenmachine, Try this. Find a constant power in your fuse box and run a line for the constant, then find a power in the fuse box that is switchable and run that to the stereo. Use the factory black wire in the harness as a ground. This will sort your power problems. It's frowned upon in the car audio world to do this, but it works quite well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts