Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm finally going to splurge on lift. It's my first... time to pop the cherry! I want the RE6030 3.5" with OME shocks. 15x8 wheels with 31x10.5 BFG M/T's. What other components are a must/highly recomended on this lift, (i.e. adj. tracbar, steering stabilizers, CA drop brackets, upper control arms. I know I'll need the SYE and CV shaft.

I'm looking to get everything asap. Anything you guys got will be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Chris

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I'd look seriously at the lower control arms. My lift came with replacements, not sure about yours. I still want to do my upper control arms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about steering? Will I run into any problems. This will be my DD and I travel alot on highways. As for drop brackets for the control arms... will the control arms be on too much of an angle if i dont?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
How about steering? Will I run into any problems. This will be my DD and I travel alot on highways. As for drop brackets for the control arms... will the control arms be on too much of an angle if i dont?
You have to have at least a 4" lift for the Rough Country control arms drops.

I want...
adjustable upper control arms (It would be nice to have adjustable lowers)
adjustable track bar
tie rod bar
brake lines (stainless steel, less expansion during breaking, more force to the breaks)

I may need if I go to a higher lift...
dropped pitman arm
longer shocks
steering brace (more to do with tire size I believe)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the SYE and the CV shaft together or do i buy them separately? Is there a good place to purchase from?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I have the RE 3.5" lift and this is what I have:
RE 3.5" springs
RE 3.5" full leaf packs
RE LCAs
RE extended rear brakeline for the rear
Rough Country adjustable trackbar
Rough Country quick disconnects (for your sway bar)
Relocated my stock brakelines in the front so they are a little longer.

This is what the minimum I would do. I didn't do a SYE but I would highly recommend it, because if you dont it will bite you in the rear in the long run.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Where in Jersey are you located?

Anyway, the SYE you do may depend on what transfercase your XJ is equipped with. If you have the NP242, your options will be different than those if you were to have the NP231 tcase. Depending on what SYE you use, you could use an XJ front driveshaft in the rear to save some cash.

The kit you're ordering includes the extended brakelines and quicker disconnects for your front swaybar, so you should be OK in those respects.

All you'll have to do after the lift in terms of steering is to get an alignment done. It's easy enough to do yourself, unless you're not comfortable with it. Until you get your alignment done, you may have wobbling, pulling, shaking, etc because your Toe will be off. You do not need a drop pitman arm or anything like that.

As for trackbars, an adjustable one is always a nice addition. I used the JKS trackbar for a while to keep everything all centered until I got my current lift. If you don't want to spend the money on a new trackbar, you could always just re-drill the hole and physically move the trackbar over.

You can keep your stock upper control arms, they'll work fine. They're not as strong as aftermarket arms, but you shouldn't run into many issues with them until the next time you upgrade.

·
Registered
444 Posts
you wont need an SYE for sure.. i wouldn't even worry about dropping the tcase.. my best friend.. **barretts92xj** he's almost pushin 9" of lift on 36" TSL's and he still runs that slip yoke.. hasn't had a problem with u-joints yet and its been almost a year.. 3in is plenty short..
if you absolutely have your heart set on an adj. track bar fine but you wont need one.. just relocate the factory one.. my first lift was 4.5" and relocating the factory one worked fine..
and i would definitely get rid of the factory UCA's... heres why..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where in Jersey are you located?

Anyway, the SYE you do may depend on what transfercase your XJ is equipped with. If you have the NP242, your options will be different than those if you were to have the NP231 tcase. Depending on what SYE you use, you could use an XJ front driveshaft in the rear to save some cash.

The kit you're ordering includes the extended brakelines and quicker disconnects for your front swaybar, so you should be OK in those respects.

All you'll have to do after the lift in terms of steering is to get an alignment done. It's easy enough to do yourself, unless you're not comfortable with it. Until you get your alignment done, you may have wobbling, pulling, shaking, etc because your Toe will be off. You do not need a drop pitman arm or anything like that.

As for trackbars, an adjustable one is always a nice addition. I used the JKS trackbar for a while to keep everything all centered until I got my current lift. If you don't want to spend the money on a new trackbar, you could always just re-drill the hole and physically move the trackbar over.

You can keep your stock upper control arms, they'll work fine. They're not as strong as aftermarket arms, but you shouldn't run into many issues with them until the next time you upgrade.
Morris County! :rock: Where in Morris are you from?

The t-case is NP231. I was lookin at the JB SYE & TW's Driveshaft.
Will I need to change the front also?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you wont need an SYE for sure.. i wouldn't even worry about dropping the tcase.. my best friend.. **barretts92xj** he's almost pushin 9" of lift on 36" TSL's and he still runs that slip yoke.. hasn't had a problem with u-joints yet and its been almost a year.. 3in is plenty short..
if you absolutely have your heart set on an adj. track bar fine but you wont need one.. just relocate the factory one.. my first lift was 4.5" and relocating the factory one worked fine..
and i would definitely get rid of the factory UCA's... heres why..

Nice! yeah I was def going to get the adj. CA's, but not just yet. I'm on a bit of a budget but going to change after the initial wallet drain.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Keep in mind MudSlingr's rig is a 2000, so he has the later style slip yoke and be more prone to vibes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
well if your on a budget definitely go with relocating your factory track bar, and not even worrying about an SYE kit.. even if it is more prone to vibes.. just slip in some t case drop spacers.. because i know for me, it was a bug.. 4.5" wasn't enough now im at 9" now i make all my own driveshafts.. but not everyone has the equipment to do that.. and custom driveshafts actually cost more than the kit itself..
your steering will be fine but i would make it a priority.. V8 GC tie rod and drag link would be a good junk yard find.. cheap and a lot stronger..

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I'm from the East Hanover area, you?

Like Quinn said, the OP's XJ is a 2000, and a '00 XJ is much more prone to vibes than pre-'96 XJ's are. At 3.5" of lift, he's more likely than not going to need to make an adjustment to get rid of vibes. A SYE is really not a budget breaker unless you go with a custom shaft and "full" SYE kit. The OP can do a HnT SYE, with Spicer Flange, and Front XJ shaft for easily less than $200 - ask me how I know.

A tcase drop, although it'll work, it may not work all that well at 3.5" of lift. That's not to say that it won't work, it's only saying that dropping the tcase 1"-1.5" may not be enough to compensate for the 3.5" of lift that he's installing. Moreover, there are chances that he will install a drop and still experience driveline vibes. With a SYE he is pretty much guaranteeing that he will not have driveline vibes.

The redrilling the trackbar bolt hole method will work just fine. An adjustable tbar from JKS will run a bit over $200, you'd be better off spending those $200 on the SYE setup.

The stock steering will hold up just fine to street driving, and doesn't need to be addressed immediately. Hell, even if he wants to wheel with the stock setup he can, my only recommendation would be to carry a spare tie rod with ends. The ZJ upgrade is nice, but doesn't have to be done ASAP.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts