Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone that has done the conversion and wish they didn't? Is there any hidden problems that you came upon that I should know about? Anything that I should buy before I start? I'm asking because I will have one day to take the brakes off of the ZJ and put them onto my Cherokee.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did the disc swap to my XJ in 1 day, with the ZJ rear discs. The only mod I really had to do was to enlarge the center hole on the discs, and used a dremel. I also used the ZJ e-brake cables and was able to fab them in to retain my e-brake. Pretty easy swap actually. Oh I also have never regreted it:cheers: Heres a write up I did, keep in mind I'm not a writer...hope it helps

Deschutes County 4-Wheelers Forum - XJ rear disc conversion..ohh yeah!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
My question which has never been completely clear what all parts do you have to ream out.. I know the backplate hole has to be enlarged but is there anything else other then the e-brake attachment that needs to be modified? or is it just modify the backing plate hole, mount it, modify ebrake attachment, the axle shaft back in, slide on rotor then mount calipers and attach brake lines, bleed and go?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I did the disc swap to my XJ in 1 day, with the ZJ rear discs. The only mod I really had to do was to enlarge the center hole on the discs, and used a dremel. I also used the ZJ e-brake cables and was able to fab them in to retain my e-brake. Pretty easy swap actually. Oh I also have never regreted it:cheers: Heres a write up I did, keep in mind I'm not a writer...hope it helps

Deschutes County 4-Wheelers Forum - XJ rear disc conversion..ohh yeah!!
How much were the used parts from the 98 Grand?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I remember right I had to ream the center hole on the backing plate and mabey just a little touch on the backplate bolt holes, and then the center hole of the disc itself. Really wasn't alot of reamin'. As for the cost of the parts I found a dude with a rolled ZJ and gave him $100. he wanted me to take the whole axle, but he decided it would be easier for him to move it, if I left the axle intact and just took all the brake stuff. I think it was a 94-95 ZJ also.:dunno: Oh almost forgot another little bonus...if you do break a rear axle, with the discs inplace it wont fall out!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
If I remember right I had to ream the center hole on the backing plate and mabey just a little touch on the backplate bolt holes, and then the center hole of the disc itself. Really wasn't alot of reamin'. As for the cost of the parts I found a dude with a rolled ZJ and gave him $100. he wanted me to take the whole axle, but he decided it would be easier for him to move it, if I left the axle intact and just took all the brake stuff. I think it was a 94-95 ZJ also.:dunno: Oh almost forgot another little bonus...if you do break a rear axle, with the discs inplace it wont fall out!
Better than the $600 disc conversion kit I priced online. Nice bonus as well. Did you ever replace the proportioning valve on yours?

·
Registered
47 Posts
No, never did. I was going to and didnt really feel it neccesary after driving it. The biggest difference I noticed was snow wheeling the discs wont freeze up and cause the rear-end to drag. On the street, there was definitly a notice in the way the Jeep stopped...nose didnt dive to the ground, much more even stopping power.:cheers:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I also have been holding off on swapping the proportioning valve. I have had the discs in the rear for a bit over a month now, and have done a combination of city and highway driving with the XJ - no wheeling yet. My results have been similar to that of DC4's in terms of lessened nose dive and such. At the moment I'm not planning on swapping the valve out, but should things changed, I will consider it.

Most people generally drive the rig for a little while before making that call. Every rig is different, so some need to swap it and others don't.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you guys on the converstion. I couldn't get into the shop for 2 weeks, but the converstion is done. I had the Jeep in the shop to do 3 things, brake conversion, new radiator, and ZJ steering upgrade.

The conversion to the disc brakes was not to bad to do, but I do have to give most of the credit to the guys in the shop where I did the work at. They told me I could use their shop and tools to do whatever I need to do. When I asked for help they jumped right in and were glad to help. I did things like pull the axles, and strip the brakes, they did the rest. I will say the conversion, both steering and brakes, were worth every minute of my time and money it took to do them. The Jeep steers straighter and stops better than it did when it was stock!! If you are wondering if you want to do this conversion, either one, do not wait any longer they are worth it!!!

I have to thank the guys at Mountain Valley Customs for their help and use of the tools. Those guys are fantastic!! Total cost for the convertions, both steering and brakes was about $250. that includes new brake pads, turning the rotors, brake fluid, RTV sealant, cable clamps, new E-brake pads, and the ZJ steering. Well worth the time and effort!!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you guys on the converstion. I couldn't get into the shop for 2 weeks, but the converstion is done. I had the Jeep in the shop to do 3 things, brake conversion, new radiator, and ZJ steering upgrade.

The conversion to the disc brakes was not to bad to do, but I do have to give most of the credit to the guys in the shop where I did the work at. They told me I could use their shop and tools to do whatever I need to do. When I asked for help they jumped right in and were glad to help. I did things like pull the axles, and strip the brakes, they did the rest. I will say the conversion, both steering and brakes, were worth every minute of my time and money it took to do them. The Jeep steers straighter and stops better than it did when it was stock!! If you are wondering if you want to do this conversion, either one, do not wait any longer they are worth it!!!

I have to thank the guys at Mountain Valley Customs for their help and use of the tools. Those guys are fantastic!! Total cost for the convertions, both steering and brakes was about $250. that includes new brake pads, turning the rotors, brake fluid, RTV sealant, cable clamps, new E-brake pads, and the ZJ steering. Well worth the time and effort!!
I want to do the disc brake conversion, but what was the problem with your steering? Mine feels great.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Jeep was wondering all over the road and you could feel the steering wheel pull left and right as you went down the road. The tie rod on the cherokee is hollow and will flex going down the road with tires 31 and larger. Once you put the V-8 ZJ steering on, which is solid, the steering feels great!! It is a direct bolt on NO MODS at all.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
The Jeep was wondering all over the road and you could feel the steering wheel pull left and right as you went down the road. The tie rod on the cherokee is hollow and will flex going down the road with tires 31 and larger. Once you put the V-8 ZJ steering on, which is solid, the steering feels great!! It is a direct bolt on NO MODS at all.
Hmmm I haven't noticed this at all on mine. I do want to replace my oem tie rod, so I guess this is a better reason that just not wanting it to bend when off road.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Joker.. i was reading Jons list of shit he has on that TJ... can you really make the dana 35 a full floating rear end?? ive never heard of that nor seen any kits out an about.. doesn't mean they dont exist but still something i'd buy.. i like my 35

1 - 17 of 17 Posts