Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Been alot of that lately...lol...and when you find cell#2 ask him if he's seen any of mine please.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
S8nng8 That is the exact measurement I told the guy at the machine shop except I told him outside of the yoke instead of the cap. So mine will probably be about an half of an inch shorter than your drive shaft.

I will have about 1.58 inches of travel. I hope this will work

I have to shorten the front. I looked at it this evening and it want even bolt up.

So would you be interested in measuring your front driveshaft?

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
now you have kinda got me thinking of going in a different direction.

how much for a slip yoke eliminator and how hard is it to install?

i have stayed at a holiday in express so do i qualify for this task?

seriously, i did pick up my front drive shaft and think, i wounder if this would work. then my next thought was, you idiot their is no way to bolt it to the t case
Here is my write-up on my "Hack n Tap" Slip yoke eliminator.

NP 242 Hack n Tap Install :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
you have me thinking

As counterintuitive as it sounds, the drive shaft will actually get shorter as you lift. I'm on a AW4 (auto) NP 242 T-Case with a hack n tap Slip yoke eliminator and a "front" drive shaft in the rear (~31.5" yoke to yoke) mounted to a C8.25 diff.
you say that the drive shaft will get shorter as you lift.

i could not wrap my mind around this. i am thinking that the larger the lift the longer the drive shaft.
i wanted to call you out on this but i did not because you have always been right
however i over think everything and plus i also want to understand what a person in saying.
so how can a lift shorten the drive shaft length?
could the reason come from the fact that when you lift the rear end the from of the leaf springs stay in the same place but the pinion swings away from the bottom of the jeep but towards the front therefore moving the pinion closer to the t case?
plus if you were to add a t case drop this would straighten the angle of the drive length causing the need for a shorter drive shaft?

i dont know about you but i find this very interesting.

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
I'm glad you are thinking and not just believing everything you hear. Because the leaf spring pivots at the front. The pinion swings toward the front as it goes down. I know it took me a while to grasp this. And fwiw, t-case drops are a bad idea. They push the fan closer toward the rad and put the engine mounts on a bind.
Also, a SYE is designed to eliminate driveline vibs and enable you to run a double cardan drive shaft. Vibs will begin to develop after about 3" of lift so they are not always necessary. As with all jeeps, ymmv! ?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I agree

I'm glad you are thinking and not just believing everything you hear. Because the leaf spring pivots at the front. The pinion swings toward the front as it goes down. I know it took me a while to grasp this. And fwiw, t-case drops are a bad idea. They push the fan closer toward the rad and put the engine mounts on a bind.
Also, a SYE is designed to eliminate driveline vibs and enable you to run a double cardan drive shaft. Vibs will begin to develop after about 3" of lift so they are not always necessary. As with all jeeps, ymmv! ?
With me, however I also take a person by the amount of time they have been spot on So if you say it I believe it. I also have a very curious mind. I find things interesting and will think about them till I can understand them.
As far as the drive shaft with a lift, that really makes since

21 - 30 of 30 Posts