Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the worst luck with this...

Anyhow, trying to install a set of KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks on my stock 1996 XJ, and working with the driver's side first. One of the bolts snapped, and I finally got that out of the way. Mounted the shock to the body and figured I could cut the retainer and quickly slip it onto the axle mount.

It didn't go that way at all. I can't get enough leverage on it from under the vehicle to compress it enough to try again. I've tried using a floor jack to push it back up, but since its force isn't straight up and down, it eventually wants to push to the side. I don't have anything to brace the jack to keep it from moving.

I know I'm not the only person to have had this issue. What do I need to do?

Thank you,
-William

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
They used to come with a string around the shock ends. You mount the top, then while wrapping your hand around the string and shock, cut the string and use the string to limit the shock travel until you can slide it on. You will need to duplicate that trick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need to duplicate that trick
They still do come tied up. In my posting, I mentioned that I'd mounted the shock up on the body and cut the binding thinking that I would be able to quickly push the axle end of the shock onto the axle mount, but it decompressed too quickly and I missed the target.

I don't have enough leverage to compress it while it's mounted and I'm under the car. I can compress it off of the car. The solution may be to do that and zip tie it, but all of my zip ties seem to be dry rotted or something.

At any rate, it'll have to wait til tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
I never had luck or trust in zip ties to hold those. use a floor jack to compress it and use mechanics wire to hold it together. or use the jack to compress it and slide it on the bolt

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Why not just lift the jeep and let the axle drop to reach the shock? Thats what I do some of the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All done, and hope that's a job I don't have to do again for awhile. Maybe with these KYB's, I won't have to.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Rear shocks are one of the least fun parts of Cherokee ownership. They only get more fun when you switch to BPEs and douse everything in neverseize.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts