Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tomorro im gonna look into getting my jeep a cheap little 1.5 to 3 in lift. i just want something to make it look a little bigger and be able to fit 30 in tires comfortably.

my question is, after lookin at many different lift kits, theres are many around 250 to 450 dollars, but how much do you think i wil get charged labor from a local shop to do it, im a marine in southern cali, so i dont exactly have access to a garage or much tools myself so i wont be able to attempt to do it,

i just want to have a rough idea on how much that should cost so i dont get ripped off tomorro

also any particular lift kits i should be looking at, and what are the difference between all these kits and sets

some include different things, same brand will offer a kit one way, or with something different, its so confusing. thanks for explaining all this stuff to a jeep newb

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
you probably will end up with a 2" lift, spacers up front and either shackles or AAL on the back, a full leaf pack will be good but well thats higher on the budget, with the spacer and shackles the kit will cost you about 100 to 150 bucks, probably the same with the AAL,

the only real tool that you might not have is thes spring compresors, those you can rent at a local autoparts, and its not that hard to install at home, first time I did it, it took me about 45 mins to an hour up front, and the rear a lil more, not sure bc I was in and out bc I got tired of the hard bolts, the last time well I think I did both in about 1.5 hours (having to remove the suspension from the old XJ to the new one and I had a buddy) have a buddy, that way you work like a tag team, also in case of any trouble hes there to help

if you dont want to have broken leaf bolts go and buy BP Plaster and spray all those bolts real nice, that stuff is magic.

ps: thanx for your service, URAAAA!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
also if you decide to go pay for that maybe about $120 its a fair price, not sure, thats the most I will pay for something like that, that I know I can do. bc at a shop they have power tools so the dont have to do much hand work on loosing bolts on the rear and well the front will be a brease with they having lifted the XJ and all, they just disconet the front susp and they have full access

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take belto's advice on this one, also have you thought about installing the lift yourself? Its not very hard and it will save you money in the long run.
this guy quoted me 860 for a 1.5 in l.ift, 1000 for 2.5 and 1200 for 3 inch

i was not expecting that at all i basicly said f that, so it looks like in the near future il be buying a kit online and trying to install it myself, any important tools that are a must ?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
this guy quoted me 860 for a 1.5 in l.ift, 1000 for 2.5 and 1200 for 3 inch

i was not expecting that at all i basicly said f that, so it looks like in the near future il be buying a kit online and trying to install it myself, any important tools that are a must ?
Wait a min, he increased the price based on how tall? WTF? All three lifts go in the same way. What a tard. I'd definately go elsewhere. It shouldn't be any more than $500 labor at the most.

SAE and Metric sockets, socket wrench, PB BLASTER, might need spring compressors, jack, jack stands.....that's all i'd normally use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait a min, he increased the price based on how tall? WTF? All three lifts go in the same way. What a tard. I'd definately go elsewhere. It shouldn't be any more than $500 labor at the most.

SAE and Metric sockets, socket wrench, PB BLASTER, might need spring compressors, jack, jack stands.....that's all i'd normally use.
can you explain difference shackles, aal, and block lifts, also whats the whole budget boost kits about?

sorry i know almost nothing about any of this i must sound insanely retarded, i learned how to work on my eclipse so i think im just gonna learn how to work on the jeep, instead of paying insane amounts for someone else to do it.

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
can you explain difference shackles, aal, and block lifts, also whats the whole budget boost kits about?

sorry i know almost nothing about any of this i must sound insanely retarded, i learned how to work on my eclipse so i think im just gonna learn how to work on the jeep, instead of paying insane amounts for someone else to do it.

thanks for all the help
Shackles are what connects the rear leaf to the frame, larger the shackle = larger lift.

AAL = add a leaf which puts a new leaf in your old pack causing lift.

Forget blocks :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shackles are what connects the rear leaf to the frame, larger the shackle = larger lift.

AAL = add a leaf which puts a new leaf in your old pack causing lift.

Forget blocks :D
and your recommmendation, more so for the easiest to instal and the price sense this will be first experience

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
and your recommmendation, more so for the easiest to instal and the price sense this will be first experience
Recommended (best setup to "ok" setup):

1: Full leaf Packs (replaces entire leaf pack with new ones)
2: Shackle lift (replace shackles with longer shackles)
3: Budget Boost packs (adding xj/s-10/dakota leaf springs to get your desired height)
3: AAL (adding a single thicker lift spring to your existing pack)
4: Blocks (goes between bottom of leaf pack and spring mount) (what kyle said :)) :)

Installation (easiest to hardest):

1: shackles
2: blocks
3: Tie: AAL
3: Tie: Budget Boost packs
4: full packs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Recommended (best setup to "ok" setup):

1: Full leaf Packs (replaces entire leaf pack with new ones)
2: Shackle lift (replace shackles with longer shackles)
3: Budget Boost packs (adding xj/s-10/dakota leaf springs to get your desired height)
3: AAL (adding a single thicker lift spring to your existing pack)
4: Blocks (goes between bottom of leaf pack and spring mount) (what kyle said :)) :)

Installation (easiest to hardest):

1: shackles
2: blocks
3: Tie: AAL
3: Tie: Budget Boost packs
4: full packs
awesome information, looks like il be looking into shackle lifts

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I'd like to add a Breaker Bar to the list of "tools to use". It'll make unbolting things much easier.

It's sad, but many shops in my area also increase the price of installation dependent on lift height.

There are things you should take into account before doing a budget boost. First, are your current leaf packs in good shape? Do they sag at all? If they sag, then you should focus on just replacing those instead of doing any sort of lift to them. A shackle lift, AAL, block will all cause your already sagging packs to sag even more.

If your current leaf packs are in good shape, then I'd also recommend going with the shackle lift first, as you can always use those down the road again (like someone else mentioned). I used AAL's for my BB with brand-new leaf packs, and they worked very well.

Don't be intimidated by doing the labor yourself. Jeeps are easy to work on because they're straight-forward. I'd say that if you're already used to working on your current vehicle, then learning a new one shouldn't be all that hard. Jeeps are simpler than Eclipses! ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guys,

This project is a "down the road" one for me, but this is HUGE information for me...

Would this apply to a project kit such as one I am considering like Rough Country 3" Stage II or one I saw in a website on one of the moderators or what ever the next levels up is.. Liquidironindustries (just these 2 along seem to group their offerings of product kits differently). No doubt there are other brands I should also consider and will research prior to purchase. I see that I need at least 2 driveshafts and SYE to do this work.

It is difficult to digest this information and not do it all at once, where is my winning lottery ticket!?!?

Thank you to MUDDEPRIVED for elaborating so clearly, this is clearly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Guys,

This project is a "down the road" one for me, but this is HUGE information for me...

Would this apply to a project kit such as one I am considering like Rough Country 3" Stage II or one I saw in a website on one of the moderators or what ever the next levels up is.. Liquidironindustries (just these 2 along seem to group their offerings of product kits differently). No doubt there are other brands I should also consider and will research prior to purchase. I see that I need at least 2 driveshafts and SYE to do this work.

It is difficult to digest this information and not do it all at once, where is my winning lottery ticket!?!?

Thank you to MUDDEPRIVED for elaborating so clearly, this is clearly appreciated.
If you go with a SYE kit, then you only need one double cardian CV driveshaft to replace the stock rear shaft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts