Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
me and a buddy whent out wheeln in the xj today. my second time in this thing.i love this jeep! it goes anywhere and it not even lifted(yet)
so we took some pics. i only had to use 4wheel like 4 times:)
i beat the snot out of it hit my exhaust on something and it got all lod and beefy sounding and 2 mins later hit something again and it got quiet again. any know what that might be. it sounded like i broke my exhaust clean off at first but how would it fix its self?

this one is me:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well for a few minutes mexhausted sounded wide open, then it whent back to normal after i hit something again so i might have broke something

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
looks like you had a great time,, you need to lift pronto with the sagging suspension you have a low rider XJ LOL

about the exhaust thing, it happend to me ones too, hit something and it sounded like an open exhaust or cracked manifold then, I turned it off bc I needed to spot a friend and when I turned it back on, it was fixed,,, lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
One recommendation is to diconnect the intake(pre-filter) tube from the air box if you are going to be doing a lot of water crossings. The intake sits right above the bumper and can suck water pretty easy.

you might have seperated the inlet into the muffler and then slammed it back in. Hard to say without looking at it.

x2 on the lift. Even if it is only a BB lift.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One recommendation is to diconnect the intake(pre-filter) tube from the air box if you are going to be doing a lot of water crossings. The intake sits right above the bumper and can suck water pretty easy.

you might have seperated the inlet into the muffler and then slammed it back in. Hard to say without looking at it.

x2 on the lift. Even if it is only a BB lift.
whats a bb lift?
i have set of u bolts off of a 4x4 f250 and the 2.5" stock lift blocks. i was going to put them on tomorrow. my front sits higher than my back anyways. i geuss my leafs are beat in the back?
yea i cant see anything broken on my exaust but its a lil louder than it was. i had a cracked cast header i had to weld not long ago but its not that i checked
whats a good cheap lift kit or way of doing it? my 2.5 blocks should be good right?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
whats a bb lift?
i have set of u bolts off of a 4x4 f250 and the 2.5" stock lift blocks. i was going to put them on tomorrow. my front sits higher than my back anyways. i geuss my leafs are beat in the back?
yea i cant see anything broken on my exaust but its a lil louder than it was. i had a cracked cast header i had to weld not long ago but its not that i checked
whats a good cheap lift kit or way of doing it? my 2.5 blocks should be good right?
BB means budget boost and I would recommend using anything but blocks on your rig, please stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BB means budget boost and I would recommend using anything but blocks on your rig, please stay away from them.
why do the fords have them on them stock on the 4x4 models of f150 and f250 trucks in the mid 80s
whats the danger in using blocks?i notice everything uses add a leaf to get the lift and spacers in the front. any bb recommendations kyle?
is the a vehicle i can swap leafs with or ad a leaf from to get the lift i want?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Looks like a good time.

As for the exhaust, start at the tail pipe and work your way towards the front of the XJ. Check all the clamps, and where the pipes enter/exit the muffler and cat. Chances are you either slid one out and then back in, or loosened/broke a clamp.

I doubt that you cracked the exhaust manifold because that doesn't tend to "fix itself" like you said your exhaust did.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeah im going to take a good look today when i put the lift blocks on the back.
i dont get why lift blocks are so bad?? ford uses stock on alota trucks and vans

cat is a slip in type and muffler can be slipped out, thats what it was. no lift blocks, im adding some leafs in th back instead and coil spacers in the front or real lift springs i think. imgoing to fabricate some lift shackles for thr rear also

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we are going wheeln today since my buddy is leaving for montana soon. we just lifted the back 2.5" with ford blocks, looks great it brings me a lil past stock height, but my springs are flat. im probabably going to do a adda a leaf or a lift shackle from rubicon. but for now the blocks so i wont have a lowrider. ill have more wheeln pics tonight!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
heres the new stuff and a pic of my jeep with the 2.5" ford blocks in the back cool thing is the blocks have bumpstop extensions too.
the yota is my buddy justins first time i saw it in action since he finished it, its pretty burly

·
Registered
600 Posts
yeah im going to take a good look today when i put the lift blocks on the back.
i dont get why lift blocks are so bad?? ford uses stock on alota trucks and vans
Using blocks isnt good because you will get more axle wrap, which will wear out your leaf springs very quickley. If you want a cheap way to lift the rear, look into doing a bastard pack. Do a search on NAXJA or jeepforum.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh well my leafs are shot, but yeah it makes sense.yeah im going to make some bastards:)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I GOT SOME TERAFLEX coil spacers today for $56 they are 1 1/2" i think so ill slap thos on then build some bastard packs and get rid of the lift blocks:p

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

Now just get some mud tires and you'll be all set

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

Now just get some mud tires and you'll be all set
im waiting on a call from a guy i met wheeln who has a set of 31's for $50. i picked up a set of comanche shackles today at pull a part and found a xj with bastard packs on it but no front lift which seemed odd unless it has taller springs but i dont know how i would even tell. the top leaf on one side is bent from being hit.i might take em and use my main spring in place of the bad one. theres 5 leafs in the packs. i whent night wheeln so no pics blew my front tire right off the rim too!, doughnut was flat lucky i had a pump.with the help of oil and a gas station i blew the bead back on the rim and drove my 50 miles back home.i was lucky i drove a few thousand feet on the rim through all sorts of rutts to flat ground to change my tire. my rim is barely bent, but bent so come on 31's!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyone else on here go to reiter pit yet???
wa people?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts