Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I finally started intalling the 5.5 RE lift and seemed to have lost one of the metal sleeves from the shackle bushing. Anybody know how to get one out of the old stuff without destroying it?

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
Carl

You can't get them out without burning the rubber off it. They are bonded to each other as that is how they are designed to work. To do it you will need a torch to keep the fires burning

·
Registered
14 Posts
I pressed some out of old springs with a hydraulic press and a couple of the right sized sockets. you could try doing the same thing with a vise or a ball jiont press.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Carl

You can't get them out without burning the rubber off it. They are bonded to each other as that is how they are designed to work. To do it you will need a torch to keep the fires burning
X2. The factory rubber bushings are bonded both to the bolt sleeve and to the outer casing sleeve. Separating the sleeve(s) from the bushings destroys the bushing.

You said you lost the metal sleeve from the SHACKLE bushing though... so which is it, LEAF SPRING bushing or SHACKLE bushing?

The shackles use poly bushings, which are completely different from how rubber bushings are made. If you need a new bolt sleeve for the SHACKLE bushing, just call up RE and order a new piece, they should be able to get you just that sleeve.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's the shackles, not the leafs... I see that the sleeves are bonded to the bushings. On the RE shackles, they use rubber bushings as well with slip in bolt sleeves, I just need to find mine or source a new one. I did measure the hole on the RE shackle and the stock one, they are the same size so I may be good to go there. And I am trying to get this done by the weekend..:devil:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The bushings in the RE shackles are poly, not rubber. The ID of the bolt sleeves will be the same because they use the same bolt of course, but the OD of the sleeve is probably different because they're completely different bushing designs (ie: poly vs rubber).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I measured them with a mic this morning and they are the same size, I guess I will just have to tear apart the factory shackle to test the theory.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If they're they same OD, then go for it, at the worst you'll have a workable solution until you can get the proper sleeves from RE.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ha!! I found it!! Woohoo, I guess it fell out of the bushing in the bed of the truck(if you saw it you would understand). Now on to progress and updating my build thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts