Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Cherokee Pioneer edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the flexplate and torque convertor on my 88 cherokee 4.0 and now it wont rev past 2000rpm.
I replaced the cps and the tps today and still nothing. Who has been through this and can tell me a solution? Next step is cut out the cat to eliminate that possible problem.

·
Premium Member
10,023 Posts
That might be the problem. Can you pull any codes with the key on and off trick?

·
Registered
1988 Cherokee Pioneer edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That might be the problem. Can you pull any codes with the key on and off trick?
Unfortunately no, the renix xj 87-90 doesn't store codes.. without a special renix scan tool the best I can do is start poking stuff with a multimeter

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Did you make sure that your throttle body can open all the way, IIRC, the TV cable for the trans gets disconnected during that procedure, there's a sleeve that cam interfere with the throttle body operation......

I'll tell ya how I know this, I replaced an engine once in a 93 cherokee automatic, after all was said and done I want to say I couldn't get it to rev up all the way. Ended up being that pesky plastic sleeve. I went to rev it under the hood and couldn't budge the throttle plate past a certain point and discovered that to be the reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts