Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a bit of electrical help fellas... I picked up a Vehicle Information Center out of a 1997 JGC Limited for my 98' Laredo. I am looking to learn some things about my Cherokee and learn a thing or two about electrical stuff.
I have already done the research and ran the wires, soldered, and put everything back together. I disconnected the battery for about 30min, thinking it would reset the ECM to learn the new module. Here are a few diagrams showing what was in the Cherokee for the GDM, and then what I added: (Red = wiring added in)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Once I had done all of the wire running and soldering... etc... I re-connected the battery, and got the VIC working. However, there are a few kinks to work out. I do not have a Lamp Out Module in the back; I'll have that wired in soon. The 4 wheel drive switch isn't working the way it should. The VIC says to have the switch repaired. I think that when I looked at the different connectors before the install, I think there might've been one wire extra on the GDM plug(in respect to the 4wd switch) I am 100% positive that everything worked well before the VIC install. None of the added wires(VIC) pertain to the switch on the transfer case... so what gives? Any Ideas? All of the wires are in their proper slots in the VIC plug...
Finally the most annoying: The hazard flasher has this effed up buzzing coming from it... When ever I use the turn signals or flip on the hazards the buzzing goes away, and comes back when not in use. What the hell is going on there? Is there an impedence going on, or maybe incorrect resistance? I wired the switches on the proper side of the switches all the way around, and I expected some hiccups, but I need some help with the last one... Any Ideas? Thanks!

UPDDATE: The third pic is of the multi switch connector, and the wire in 17 slot is the wire I tapped for the VIC turn signal wire.... FYI In the third and fourth pics are the connector assignments. The first one is of the wires that were added to my Laredo GDM version to accomidate the VIC. The Blue Wires are the "extra"s on the connectore. The fourth is a breakdown of the connector just for the VIC. The red lines are the new wires added to my rig.... The final pic is of a suspected info wire that I may cut for the VIC to work with the lamp out module when I have it installed.... I have more diagrams to upload later after work, but the important ones are here.... Any THOUGHTS on where I am going wrong Guys?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the Lamp Out Module installed today. It was a real easy install.

I have gotten one down, with two more issues to get fixed. Next up is the ultra annoying flasher buzzing issue, and then figure out if the four wheel drive switch is needing replacement.

I hope to have this full conversion done by the end of next week.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update: Got the VIC all powered up and looking good. :rolleyes:

Still having issues with the 4wd switch though. I suppose I will have a look at it in a day or two..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
the last pic of the wiring pinouts for the VIC show 3 different t-case options, which one do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the last pic of the wiring pinouts for the VIC show 3 different t-case options, which one do you have?
Great catch man. I have a 242 not a 249. I'll have a look later tonight while I am replacing a speedo gear.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
i just looked at the wiring again, The VIC module shows pin 19 for 2WD. Do you have that option on your switch? The first couple diagrams only show 4lo 4H 4PT and N.

I have a 242 in my 96 xj and although its manual, I have 2H 4PT 4FT N and 4LO.

Does yours have a 2WD option, or are you always in some form of 4WD?

Also, the lamps for 2WD and 4WD and reversed from the GDM to the VIC. The both use pins 18 and 19.

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
do you have the pinouts for the GDM, I'm trying to trace your "annoying buzz", but don't see all the connector pinouts.

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
Here let me help:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i just looked at the wiring again, The VIC module shows pin 19 for 2WD. Do you have that option on your switch? The first couple diagrams only show 4lo 4H 4PT and N.

I have a 242 in my 96 xj and although its manual, I have 2H 4PT 4FT N and 4LO.

Does yours have a 2WD option, or are you always in some form of 4WD?

Also, the lamps for 2WD and 4WD and reversed from the GDM to the VIC. The both use pins 18 and 19.

My transfer case is the same. 2HI, 4PT, 4FT, 4LO. I really haven't had enough time to go over everything again. Its been about a year since attempting this.

I appreciate the help.

Gluckmysock said:
do you have the pinouts for the GDM, I'm trying to trace your "annoying buzz", but don't see all the connector pinouts.
I have the wire cut at the moment. I couldn't deal with that buzzing. basically, it was soldered into the wiring harness just behind the "multiswitch" connector for the turn signal armature on the steering column. The wiring diagrams a couple of posts up indicate where I spliced it in. It was supposed to be the correct wire, according to the diagrams and pinout sheets, and where it was supposed to be. I'll have to go back and re-trace out where it is supposed to be connected. I am thinking it may be somewhere closer to the junction block. It is entirely possible that the actual wire may be hidden in the wiring harness, although I have to say that I am not looking to tear it apart again.

It is possible some type of impedance or resistance in the wire caused the flasher to buzz like that. I will have some more time this weekend to go over everything in more detail. I am going to include some diagrams that I do have. I think that my VIC/GDM pinout sheet is the same as yours. Mine is out of the '98 service manual PDF.

I got the PDF's really cheap BTW if anyone reading this wants them for under 10 bucks. It came with ALL of the individual ZJ (93-98) )Manuals as well as the Parts Manuals(93, 94-96, 97, 98), and as a bonus a Jeep ZJ Haynes manual as well. All are in searchable PDF formats and work well on a basic Kindle 3rd generation($40).

I bought them here: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL & BONUS

I was given a link for downloading them that night and then they even sent a hard copy CD or DVD after a day or three.
and

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
My diagrams came from Alldata, which is based off the Factory Service manual. I couldn't find any wiring issues in your work.

Is the turn signal driver the only connection you made to the multi-function (turn signal) switch?

The diagram is showing the plug to the switch, are you sure you are not using pin 10 on the harness plug side?

I couldn't see any built in impedance in the wiring other than the 4wd switch.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Gluckmysock said:
Is the turn signal driver the only connection you made to the multi-function (turn signal) switch?
Yup

Gluckmysock said:
The diagram is showing the plug to the switch, are you sure you are not using pin 10 on the harness plug side?
It is possible. I will have to take a better look the next time I get in there. I am about 70% sure I attached to the plug side of the connection.

I had connected the line from the VIC to Cavity 17 of the L5 circuit, 18 gauge wire with a main color Orange and a Black tracer line on the steering column. Just like it says in the Multi-Switch harness pinout diagram.

I am also noticing that the VIC pinout graphic from Alldata(second to the last one of my second post of this thread) says that the wire is Grey with a Black Tracer that goes from the VIC then to the Combo Flasher and THEN to the Multi Switch; Conflicting what the service manual is saying... hmmmm...

I could be in the wrong place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This may be a bit overboard, but I thought that these may help someone else out in the future. I found this while I was looking for the connectors in the 96 ZJ manual:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You can zoom in on each page with Ctrl + and zoom out with Ctrl -

:bannana::bannana: I think that the page labelled 8E -17 has the solution to the problem I am having with the 4WD switch and the VIC. :bannana::bannana:

I recall there being a red dual cavity connector in my wiring harness that was connected. I remember seeing it as I was taping up the harness. While tidying up the harness from the surgery that has been this GDM to VIC conversion.

Hopefully this works...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...and we have a battle won.

The War rages on...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
I have a few questions:

What is the purpose of this swap?
Why do it, and on what vehicles?

I had never heard anything about this before. Off to do my search, but I figured I'd ask someone in the process of doing it.

·
Premium Member
6,773 Posts
Most people get rid of these in ZJ's because of our notorious electrical gremlins. That, and the warnings about low fluids annoy them. I'm swapping one in as well because it looks cleaner and is more functional than the normal display, which barely does anything except tell you whether you're in 4wd or not.

This was one of the earliest "sleek" dash computers of anything. Jeep didn't mess around when it came to the late-model ZJs.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Were they ever used in the late model XJ's? I am not an XJ guy and don't recall ever seeing one in an XJ.

I could be wrong, and every dude I know that has an XJ has an earlier model one.

·
Yup, just me.
2,489 Posts
The question is, could one be made to work in a XJ? ;)

I really enjoyed reading this either way. Write up's like this, and more importantly, the sharing of this knowledge is just plain cool.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts