Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got 140k on my 4.0L now. Everything is running fine, but lets face it something could go seriously wrong in the next 60k miles (lol 60k is a lot I know).

I was poking around and I found this website...

http://www.gearheadjeep.com/

They sell a 4.0L with a 3 year (unlimited mileage) warranty, with head, valve/oil/timing chain covers installed for $1999. Shipped anywhere in the US free.

WOW!

They also sell 4.7L strokers.

Rebuilding an engine can be lots of fun, and educational, but to order and have a ready to run engine shipped to your house...

Has anyone had any experience with a 4.0L crate engine?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Nope, I never knew these things went bad...
But for $2K, to get 3yr/Unlimited is a great deal, esp. for a long block with tin, and shipping.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Wow, that is pretty sweet. I would only do that if you plan on keeping your jeep for another 15+ years, lol.

·
Registered
342 Posts
hehe don't be fulled the warranty cost and shipping if figured into that price. I paid around $900 delivered to my door from citymotorsupply.com a fully remanufactured (they aren't crate motors anymore). Granted they are out of San Antonio texas and shipping was nothing since I waited till they had a delivery going to the OKC area and they charged me a small handling fee. I only have a 12 month 12000 mile warranty but in my experience with a reman engine if it is going to fail it will be within the first few thousand miles. I am just amazed as how much a reman engine costs now days.. Also check with NAPA, Advanced Auto and Autozone they sell remans as well with warranty and all.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that is pretty sweet. I would only do that if you plan on keeping your jeep for another 15+ years, lol.
I plan on keeping it longer than that. Unless it's double the cost, I'll get their 4.7L stroker.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know I have 2 mjs and 2 xjs and I do not have 2 grand tied up only one of them is not streetable because of a rusted frame.
alll the engines work great and all have way more miles on them then you have on yours.
Well I hope that company is still in business when I need a replacement. ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey, if you give them a call, find out pricing on their strokers, and pricing on their 3 performance engine options too...:cheers:

·
Registered
330 Posts
i just rebuilt the motor in my 01 in july i had to put a new cam lifters oil pump and timing set in. this time i had a piston break and i got it bored .030 crank ground new bearingss pistons rings. Got the head surfaced valves ground blah blah blah. I had 1,000 into it this time and the cam and stuff cost right around 300. so i have a basically brand new, built by my hands 4.0 for 1,300 bucks, I have a lot of time into but it was worth it now i just got it finished on monday:thumbsup:

and i am back i havent posted in quite a while but i will do an update soon and a video of that exhaust i have promised a couple of times lol. And some pics of the heep:hi:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just rebuilt the motor in my 01 in july i had to put a new cam lifters oil pump and timing set in. this time i had a piston break and i got it bored .030 crank ground new bearingss pistons rings. Got the head surfaced valves ground blah blah blah. I had 1,000 into it this time and the cam and stuff cost right around 300. so i have a basically brand new, built by my hands 4.0 for 1,300 bucks, I have a lot of time into but it was worth it now i just got it finished on monday:thumbsup:

and i am back i havent posted in quite a while but i will do an update soon and a video of that exhaust i have promised a couple of times lol. And some pics of the heep:hi:
Rebuilding is fun, but time consuming. Are you going to dyno to see what improvements you made? How are you on gas mileage now?

·
Registered
330 Posts
pshh no dyno i cant afford that lol/worry about it. And i just filled it up so i will let you know (but i am also taking it easy on the new engine) for a couple hundred miles

·
Registered
330 Posts
i got 230 miles out of my tank and the heep is on 31" BFG's right now so. 13 MPG if the odometer was right lol (it is dang close though) only off abut 2 mph at 55 (GPS verified).

and that is also all country and city driving no expressway

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got 230 miles out of my tank and the heep is on 31" BFG's right now so. 13 MPG if the odometer was right lol (it is dang close though) only off abut 2 mph at 55 (GPS verified).

and that is also all country and city driving no expressway
That's interesting. Did you go back with new injectors? How about sensors, new one's or old ones?

·
Registered
330 Posts
everything is still stock i cleaned the injectors awhile back but have never replaced any sensors. This is about what i got before but it is .030 over now and the head was surfaced a little bit

·
Registered
307 Posts
I did a full conversion from renix to high output in my 87 comanche for $1700, that included a 3,000 mile documented genuine mopar reman bored .030 over, borla header and downpipe, 90,000 mile aw4 trans, all wiring, computers, accessories, fuel pumps, interior, overhead console, EVERYTHING and I found a 2001 TJ intake for free to go on it.

that's around 235 hp for less than $2000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts