Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to carry a full sized spare. I have a used tire from my recent purchase. I want to match sizes for the 4wd transmission. The dealer said that the technical specs of the wheels that are on the car are 18x7, 5-110 with 31 offset (110 and 31 are metric, I assume).
I am having trouble finding an inexpensive wheel with those specs online.
Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
Kudos for wanting a real spare tire instead of what comes from the factory. 110 mm is a weird size. Do you mean 114.3 instead? That is 5X4.5 bolt pattern which is common on many older Jeeps. So what vehicle do you have? 18" tires are common on some newer Jeeps unless you are talking an aftermarket purchase

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kudos for wanting a real spare tire instead of what comes from the factory. 110 mm is a weird size. Do you mean 114.3 instead? That is 5X4.5 bolt pattern which is common on many older Jeeps. So what vehicle do you have? 18" tires are common on some newer Jeeps unless you are talking an aftermarket purchase
It is a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4wd Limited. The wheel specs came from the Discount Tire database.

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
Well I learned something. I searched Summit Racing website and you are right. 5X10. Here is the cheapest new wheel I found

It would work well for a spare

My bad. It is a 17" Seems stardard size is 17X5

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
Did some more looking. It doesn't appear anyone makes a cheap wheel in that size. No steel wheels, all are aluminum and more expensive

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did some more looking. It doesn't appear anyone makes a cheap wheel in that size. No steel wheels, all are aluminum and more expensive
That was what it appeared to me, a novice. The question is whether there other sizes what will work for the standard tire, and the transmission?

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
In theory, yes. The cey thing in 4X4 is to match tire diameter. So you could use a 17" tire that has a little more sidewall than the 18s you have

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I could do that. Do you or anybody else here have a sense of how much variation of diameter of the tires can be tolerated, and over how long a distance, before there is damage to the transmission?

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Any junkyards near you? I'd look around and buy one from a yard off a wrecked jeep.
Or do what 4.3 said above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts