Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone here tried installing a removable roof rack? How is the durability? can it carry a heavy bag? because I have been planning to add a roof rack on my Cherokee and saw this Jeep Grand Cherokee Roof Rack (Removable) - TR486056 | MoparOnlineParts | Mopar Parts online it is more convenient for me because it can be removed if I don't need or feel it but I'm hesitant if this can be good as those permanently installed racks?

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
I never installed that type, but it is from mopar and a Thule. So the quality should be there. Instructions say install in an hour. It looks like only 4 mounts hold it to the body. It doesn't say you have to drill anything. So installation should be easy.
Are you planning on hauling kayaks or bikes? I would check to make sure it was rated for what you want to haul.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Technically speaking, all roof racks are removable. Whether its gutter mounts, keyed mounts, uses factory roof rack rails or gutters, they are removable. I wired lights to mine so it isn't but I need to cut them and pull it off later down the road for a project.

Anyhow, I did previously run Thule roof bars and had a yakima basket on top. Didn't take much to pull it off. Just unlock the bars and the rack comes off with it. My basket has mounts that consist of a knob on each of the 4 feet that gets unscrewed by hand and then the basket can come off of whatever you mounted it to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I needed one for just a one time use only, I got it at Wal-Mart for $97 in change....it was all aluminum construction, fastened to the existing rails with clamps and thumb screws. It was good quality and I was going to keep it on but someone stole it. So I suggest you make it difficult to remove lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts