Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally ordered the 4.5" full leaf springs so I can get rid of my AAL.

Should be here Tuesday.

The really cool thing is since I ordered my kit with AAL, it comes with the same shackles that comes with the Rough Country 6.5" lift. That means when the 4.5" leaf springs come in I will have a 4.5" (rear) lift, 5.5" lift, or 6.5" lift.

I love having that flexibility. Right now the rear is a little lower than the front due to the rear bumper with tire carrier. These new springs should take care of that!

In the future when I go higher with my lift, do you think it would be better to replace the coil springs, or just use spacers. I was looking at those adjustable spacers.

If new coil springs, why?

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Sweet, take pics. I know you will. LOL

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
If I were in your position regarding new front coils or spacers, I'd ask myself a couple of questions. How old are the coils? Are they sagging? If they're old and sagging, then I'd replace them. If the coils are in good shape, I'd probably save a couple bucks and go with the spacers.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were in your position regarding new front coils or spacers, I'd ask myself a couple of questions. How old are the coils? Are they sagging? If they're old and sagging, then I'd replace them. If the coils are in good shape, I'd probably save a couple bucks and go with the spacers.
Nope, the coils are almost new. 15 months old. I like the idea of the adjustable spacers (I forget that they were called in the catalog), since it allows you to adjust front or left/right. I think they were 1.5" to 2.5".

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing in my understanding. I don't think longer coils would improve flex since during flex the spring isn't compressed.

I still have to do the SYE (damn money pit!) before I can go higher.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They arrived this past Tuesday. Very nice. Can't wait to get them on.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck with the install, it shouldnt be very hard. Keep us updated:thumbsup:
Thanks, it'll be a lot easier than the AAL that was originally done.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Thanks, it'll be a lot easier than the AAL that was originally done.
You say that now.... :rofl:

My spring packs where a **** to get out. 725 ft lbs impact wrench couldn't get the bolts out. We used a 3' breaker bar with a 2' extension and broke 3 sockets on the way(craftsman too). But I hope yours goes smooth :p

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You say that now.... :rofl:

My spring packs where a **** to get out. 725 ft lbs impact wrench couldn't get the bolts out. We used a 3' breaker bar with a 2' extension and broke 3 sockets on the way(craftsman too). But I hope yours goes smooth :p
I had my lift put on by a buddy that has a garage. He took out the original leafs, broke them apart, added the AAL and put them back together.

It's always possible that it will be hard to get off, but I suspect the 9+ years they were on when he took them off will be harder than the 15 months they've been back on. ;)

I am only concerned with having enough floor jack lift to unload the spring, then getting enough height to put on the new ones. The AAL is pretty flat right now, of course they are loaded.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I am only concerned with having enough floor jack lift to unload the spring, then getting enough height to put on the new ones. The AAL is pretty flat right now, of course they are loaded.
I just stack wood under my jackstands. Maybe not the safest way, but it works just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just stack wood under my jackstands. Maybe not the safest way, but it works just fine.
lol, yeah, I wasn't going to put that into writing, but I've done it before.

I have jack stands, so I just need to get the height then it's safe.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I don't think that there is anything wrong with stacking wood under a jackstand as long as you do it carefully and correctly. If you get plywood and cut squares that are larger than the jackstands, and stack them with the jackstand on top, all your doing is increaseing the height of the jackstand, you're not sacrificing how much the jackstand can hold.

I think everyone has done this at one point. The industrial jackstands used for larger trucks are great because they're very high, but they are alot of $$$$$ for good ones.

·
Registered
303 Posts
This is definitely the one thing I am NOT looking forward to. 24 years old and I don't think its ever been taken apart.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I use big solid concrete blocks that i got from home depot. been using them since i got into the jeep thing and they never leave the side of my tool box :) (and the same jack since day one ;))

With those rear lift options you have, i'd go with the ACOS system. You'll have adjustability on both front and rear suspensions. You'll have that 4.5",5.5",6.5" adjustability in the rear (your RC springs and accessories) and 1.5"-3.75" adjustability up front (ACOS).

If you are made of $$, go with the ACOS Pro kit. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am looking to order these tomorrow I found them for 260 on Ebay plus 20 shipping is this a good price. If you know of better HELP. Thanks

Cole

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am looking to order these tomorrow I found them for 260 on Ebay plus 20 shipping is this a good price. If you know of better HELP. Thanks

Cole
NO!!! Call Rough Country, ask for Jason. I'm not sure if he gave me a better deal because of my NAXJA membership, but mine were $242 delivered.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Yep Jason gives a NAXJA Discount.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts