Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
i`ve heard nuthin but horror stories about their rear springs...and its a cheap lift..so u get what u pay for.....i recomend spendin a some money on a decent set up,or you will be doing it twice.........just my 2cents

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
i`ve heard nuthin but horror stories about their rear springs...and its a cheap lift..so u get what u pay for.....i recomend spendin a some money on a decent set up,or you will be doing it twice.........just my 2cents
Hmmm I'll do some searching around the Internet, but if you have more information I'd like to know.

I bought the 4.5" AAL kit, which came with the same rear shackles as their 6.5" kit.

I then bought the 4.5" leaf springs. So with the 6.5" shackles and the 4.5" springs I can do 5.5" or 6.5" lift in the rear. I have it set to 5.5" right now because of my heavy rear bumper, tire carrier and spare tire. It's level right now with the 4.5" coils in front.

So I guess my concern is why would the rear leaf springs be a problem at 6.5" but not at 4.5" when all that is different is the shackles? If they were using blocks I could understand, but the shackles should be fine to add the extra height.

The reason I ask is after I do a SYE I'll increase the lift to 6.5". It will be lower due to the weight of the custom front winch bumper and the rear I already mentioned.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
What size tire do you want to run? What is your end goal with the rig? If you only want to run 31" tires then 6.5" of lift is waaaay overkill, if you want to run 35's then 6.5" will work, 33's and you can stay within the 4.5" to 5.5" range with proper bumpstopping and some trimming.

Give us an overall picture of your desired end result and we can help point you in the right direction.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Have you budgeted for other potential necessities as well, such as a SYE, driveshaft, rims, tires, extended brakelines, CA drop brackets? If you haven't then you should take that stuff into account as well, esepcially at 6.5" of height.

If 32's or 33's is your goal, then you'll be fine with 4.5" of lift, and it'll be cheaper, which will leave you with more money for other things that you'll need.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I would research it and get specific information about specific issues with the various lifts.

I have only ever lifted my one and only Jeep once, and I went with RC. That was only 15 or so months ago.

Many of these guys have much more experience than I do.

Still I personally cannot justify spending $1500 or more for a lift. If that was my only option then I wouldn't be lifted right now.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
First off, dont do rustys.

I love my rough country lift, but i only have a 4.5" lift. If you are going to do 32" tires only go with a 4.5" lift.

If you are going to go 6.5" lift you might want to go long arm kits, with a sye kit. especially with the rocks as a terrain. Then I would go 33" tires. I agree on the Rubicon Express or Claytons lift kits for that height.

You might also want to check out the Rubicon Express 5.5" lift kit. Real nice stuff.

If you want to go Rough Country I would do 4.5" of lift. You don't need (most likely) a SYE kit. and you can run 32" tires just nice. Its not long arm but at that height its a nice lift for the money.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT BUY AN ADD-A-LEAF KIT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts