Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just changed the flex plate on my 1998 xj classic. When i got the jeep back together it was hard to start, and once itd finally start to turn over, itd either stall or stumble on its face and then stall or run but have a terrible miss like its ready for nationals. The jeep has no power to it and wont rev up normally unless you peg it on and off repeatedly to get the rpms up it will idle without the accelerator being pressed but terribly any ideas? The flex plate i installed has a part number of z339? Its a first for me of replacing a flex plate. So im afraid i have done something wrong in the installation. If there is a wrong way of installing i havent a clue... but help would be appreciated. First thing i did change was the cps since that was a recent job. Figured maybe since it was new that it went bad on me again like a dud would. But installed the new one and it still had the same issue. I hooked my scanner up to it and it says loss of crank or bad circuit. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
So you replaced the flex plate. What year did the donor come out of. It makes a difference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Donor flex plate was advanced auto special and trans was no different then the original even used the synchonizer wiring harness to complete trans since that wiring was pinched

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Well, the only thing I can think of is that the flex plate is wrong. The later XJs used a different flex plate. If you use an earlier one on the late 96 and up engines the timing is wrong and can give you the symptoms you are reporting. Might be wise to do some double checking on part numbers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate that man i checked fhe timing gaps and they matched the original its just im thinking the flex plate wasnt timed when installed since theres no dowel hole like most have. i searched and searched and no one talked about timing marks so i didnt know where to look. So figured it didnt matter but then it dawned on me about it when i got to finally think on what its doing im used to settin timing with a chain or belt not with a flex plate

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
The flex plate should only go on one way. But I think this is the root of your problem. A pain to fix though. Also, did you remove the distributor?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts