Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.5" lift and 4.25" backspacing on my steelies.

I want some 12.5" wides, and currently have 10.5" wides. Wondering if anyone has enough experience to say yea or nay on 12.5" wide 33's. Thinking I may have to get some 1/2" to 1" spacers to be certain, but am unsure.

I'm looking to order them in the next day or so. If you have 2 pennies, lets hear 'em?

Thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not entirely sure about my backspacing, but I think it's similar to yours, I can check though.

I do rub slightly on the lower control arms at full lock. Not positive about rubbing during up/down travel though, but I'm sure I must be somewhere. I think a little bit of spacing would help get rid of any rubbing.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
12.5 wide is nice for wheeling but for every day they are heavier and tend to wander in heavy snow. They tend to want to climb out of the tracks in snow. Even on dry asphalt that is crowned from a lot of big trucks , they tend to wander . Sorry hard to explain but I'm sure your picking up what I'm putting down. If I go back to 33s , it will be 10.5 or 11.5.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
My experience with 12.5's is that they float alot while the 10.5's dig and grip. That's the reason I stick with 31x10.5's on both of my rigs. I would like to go with 33x10.5's but the lack of sizes and better gas mileage keep me at 31".

This is coming from 14 years of experimenting with MANY different tires and sizes in PA wild winters in both tj's and xj's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
12.5 wide is nice for wheeling but for every day they are heavier and tend to wander in heavy snow. They tend to want to climb out of the tracks in snow. Even on dry asphalt that is crowned from a lot of big trucks , they tend to wander . Sorry hard to explain but I'm sure your picking up what I'm putting down. If I go back to 33s , it will be 10.5 or 11.5.
Yep my 33" x 12.50 wander with the best of them, and are not great in the snow b/c they float on top instead of digging...the XJ just isn't heavy enough to get them down and gripping.

At 4.5" of lift I did have rubbing on the quarter panel, but I also didn't have the axle centered fore-aft b/c of limited adjustment on the lower control arm (short). If the OP can adjust the axle forward you should be OK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts