Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive checked all my fuses and replaced the switch and the running lights wont go off. they wont even go off when i removed the headlight switch

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. This kind of thing is a real pain in the arse. You have the hot lead for your running lights in contact with something that is hot at all times. There are two things you can do. One is to start taking your wiring harness apart and looking for anything suspicious, disconnecting stuff as you go. The other is to get a cheap volt meter with an amp clamp that will work on direct current. I got one from Sears for about $25. Then you can just start clamping wires until you find the one where the power is coming from. I used mine to chase down a battery draw that happened to be in my alternator. Took about five minutes to chase it down.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Yup, that is what I thought he meant

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
so ive checked all my fuses and replaced the switch and the running lights wont go off. they wont even go off when i removed the headlight switch
So when you removed the fuses to check it, did they go out?

BTW a fuse shouldn't keep something on, their job is to turn it off when a preset current level is reached.

You have a short, or a bad switch, possible both.

You know you have fuses under the hood as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts