Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone using the adjustable front coil spring spacers from rusty's or 1source manufacturing on their xj? mine is a 99 4door se 4.0L AW4. at $200 i'de like to know if these are going to hold up in the long run. i dont want to turn this into another boring/stupid lift kit thread. just lookin for some info on these products. also anyone know of a source for an adjustable rear xj shackle?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The ACOS is a VERY good product...Just quite pricey. I personally won't be buying anything else from Rusty's.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I am sure they will hold up, but I just don't how the function justifies the cost.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
is anyone using the adjustable front coil spring spacers from rusty's or 1source manufacturing on their xj? mine is a 99 4door se 4.0L AW4. at $200 i'de like to know if these are going to hold up in the long run. i dont want to turn this into another boring/stupid lift kit thread. just lookin for some info on these products. also anyone know of a source for an adjustable rear xj shackle?
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_shackles.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the acos is only $25 more than the rustys or 1source. i'de like to know how these hold up in the offroad world. actually i like that acos you found better than the other 2.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The adjustable spring spacers give you the adjustably to change the ride height with just a few turns of the adjustable spanner nut and a locking spanner nut is used to keep it in a locked position. All kits come with it's own Rusty's spanner adjusting tool. CNC manufactured of billet steel in a one- piece design, no multiple pieces, no drilling, no welding, and just a simple bolt on design. The adjustable spring spacers an offer lift from 1.75 to 3 inches and only increases spring rate by a small amount. Silver zinc plated for protection and a great look.

Riddle me this... How does a spacer affect spring rate?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Because more pressure is being put on the spring thus increasing the sprung force of the spring itself.

But... Coil springs are normally of a linear rate. Save for variable rate coils, which are not common to use off-road or on an XJ. And they really wouldn't be affected either, as their variable rate is actually only a 'dual rate'; they are suddenly much stiffer after about 5" of uptravel (all depending on the specifics of the coil, but I'm speaking about mine).

Spacers do NOT affect spring rate.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Because more pressure is being put on the spring thus increasing the sprung force of the spring itself.
Not true. It simply moves the spring down, it doesn't change the spring rate of the coil.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
why adjustable ones?

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
...fair enough. how far can they adjust +/-?

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
But... Coil springs are normally of a linear rate. Save for variable rate coils, which are not common to use off-road or on an XJ. And they really wouldn't be affected either, as their variable rate is actually only a 'dual rate'; they are suddenly much stiffer after about 5" of uptravel (all depending on the specifics of the coil, but I'm speaking about mine).

Spacers do NOT affect spring rate.
He has a good point. The rate is affected by number of coils, wire diameter etc. Spacers don't change that.

·
Registered
687 Posts
wHE I START TO SAG BUY SOME 5 DOLLAR BOOSTERS UNTILL YOU GET NEW SPRINGS !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts