Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could i use to seal up a hole on the floor of the xj? I cut a 2.25" hole to run some hoses through and i want to seal the hole around the hose so it's secure and won't allow the elements in. Isn't there a type of sealant that you spray on the area and it puffs up and seals it? Or should i use something else?
Keep in mind the hoses get pretty hot so this has to hold up against the hot hose.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
You could use RTV for something like this. It'll seal up nice, is easy to cut through when you need to remove it, and if done right, it'll look like a nice gasket and not messy.

Many auto-parts store also sell grommets that you can buy in certain sizes (.5", .75", etc.) to fit the size hole you made. How much of the hole is still exposed after you ran the cables through? 2.25" is pretty big. If the hoses are bundled, and there isn't that much of the hole to fill in, RTV should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Normally I would say get that expanding foam, but I don't think you have a cavity to fill. Just a couple of holes.

:rofl:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was gonna use rubber grommets but the hoses were already attached and I did not want to disconnect them and deal with coolant loss to put them on so i did what I did on my TJ. I used crankcase hose and cut the outside open and slipped it over the cut. It looks and acts like a rubber grommet. Now i have like 1/4" gap left so i'll just fill that up with rtv i have laying around. It'll do till summer.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally I would say get that expanding foam, but I don't think you have a cavity to fill. Just a couple of holes.

:p

·
Registered
260 Posts
pro form makes a urathane body/seam sealer...in paintable or non paintable forms...it works great..a must for any xj owner....part#`s are PF224 for urathane...and PF214 for rubber based....they have many other simalar products aswell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts