Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so i just recently bought a 2000 xj that has 150k miles on it. On my way home from getting it it started to spit out three misfire codes. the p030 misfire ones. Misfire cylinder 1 &2 along with random misfire. It was a three hour drive and about halfway home the car would clearly misfire and jerk coming out of a stop, i crawled it the rest of the way home and it would behave ok if i kept moving keeping it at about 2000 rpm. No overheating issues, all gagues seemed to look fine .

The previous owner has replaced the plugs and coil pack. I checked to make sure the coil pack works and replaced the plugs to copper champion's and made sure they are gapped at .035. There was hugely gapped platuims in there previously. Also changed the oil, no signs of coolant in it. I also checked the fuel injectors with a noid light and the screw driver test and they all seem fine, however the second plug is newer with a different spray pattern nozzle. I noticed vaccum leaks on both the hoses attached to the valve cover, i replaced the one with the pcv valve, but didnt notice the other one untill i started taking things apart After all this no improvements, same codes, misfires and has a rough idle

Next i preformed a compression test and the results combined with the white smoke i noticed coming out the exhaust upon startup leads me to think it might be the common head crack issue or hopefully just the gasket.
Cylinders 1,3,4,5,6- 150 psi
Cylinder 2- 90 psi retested "wet" 90 psi again.

so something is mechanically wrong with this engine i am in the process of pulling the head off and taking a look.

My research also let me know about the heat soaking fuel injector three issue that could be causing the same codes/ misfires, but the compression test lends me to think its something more serious.

Anything I am missing? what do you guys think? i for sure dont want to go through all this work of pulling the head, likely replacing some expensive parts and not solving the issue

These pesky highschoolers definitely must have cleared the codes and ripped me off of all my savings, but now its time to see if i can fix this thing as i am not super mechanically inclined. Mostly just preformed all my own maintence on my truck up until this point

How can I determine what the issue is causing the low compression once i get the head off?

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Yeah, that compression test should tell you all you need to know until you open it up and look for yourself. White smoke is another obvious red flag. If you are lucky, its a head gasket and not the head. I would still have a machine shop check it for cracks and warping. Or replace it like I did. Heck, you're already in there, you're going to pay a machine shop, so why not put that money towards a new casting thats stronger and corrects the weak spots, and as a bonus you can get a new set of valves already installed. Depending on who and what you order of course. I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again. Clearwater Cyl Head is awesome and easy to work with. Mine is running great.

Replacing the head isn't all that technical, except for the torquing patterns and procedures. The rest is just fitting your hands/arms/tools in really tight spots to get the manifolds off. Read some of my threads for kicks and giggles, and watch a youtube vid or two.

Page 58 is where my head replacement starts I think. cherokeetalk.com/threads/xjsupermans-2001-xj.21285/page-58

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice man. Really hoping it’s something a lil cheaper than the head. For the price of a new one I’m considering scrapping it or engine swapping. Thing is this jeeps body is better condition than all the other ones I visited and is already on a 4.5” lift and new 32s. Picked it up for 3350 and honestly that was like my max budget so I don’t have much room for parts

All that is left to take off is the manifold then I’ll get a look inside the head.

The plastic peice that holds the fuel injector wires on this Jeep was melted to the bolts and broke when I took it off. I am having trouble finding a new one online, do you have any experience with this?

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
I see your post. Plastic piece? You mean one of those clip things that slides over the stud? Can't imagine you'll really need it. Junkyard or ebay would be where I'd look. Prob be free at a junkyard

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it’s like a the black plastic rectangle that is under the fuel rail and holds the injector wiring inside of it. Mine was connected at 3 points by plastic female connections over bolts on the engine. 2/3 of the connections were melted and broke coming off and I snapped the whole thing in the middle so it’s pretty toast. All the injector wiring looks in tact though.

when I put the Jeep back together after looking at the head could I just wrap the fuel injector wires in something else?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Now I know what you mean. The "rail" that is in two peices.
They do come up on Ebay from time to time but the only one I could find
at the moment is this one. From England.

And you don't want that one.

Thinking boneyard.

I vaguely remember trying to find the part number in my '00 parts catalog.
But to no avail.

I replaced mine cause it was cracked. I might still have it seeing how I don't throw anything out. LOL.
Thinking it could be glued back together. Would have to find it to be sure.

I am betting you could figure out something to get by. Some split loom and maybe some heat shielding.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Thanks Ralph!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ralph! Yeah I am thinking about taping up the wires real good and using a wrap kit like this if I can’t get mY cracked one on.

Might help the famous heat soak issue if my Jeep has that. I should have the head off this weekend, fingers crossed for just a gasket but I’ll try and get some pics on here for advice on what to do next.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don't have heat soak issues with my '00 XJ 4.0 with CA Emissions. Don't know why but I am happy I don't.
I did do a 4 hole injector upgrade about 6 years ago. I just figured my injectors had about 150K on them and needed to go.
My Jeep did have the heat shield on top of the intake manifold, all beat up, and I did replace it with a new one when I did the injectors.
Had I known at the time that kit existed I would have used it despite not having any issues.
Cause I almost positive that it is not something that you can put on the Jeep while all together.
Need to take the injectors off the rail.
And I ain't going back in there unless I have too. LOL.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
I took my heat shield out fwiw. Stupid disintigrating piece of foam and foil was not going to seriously make any difference for me. I probably have heatsoak if I shut it down and start it up after 3-5min, but I don't do that very often. When Im on a trip and need fuel for example, I don't shut it off. Its not nice to do that to a hot vehicle in general.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok guys so i just recently bought a 2000 xj that has 150k miles on it. On my way home from getting it it started to spit out three misfire codes. the p030 misfire ones. Misfire cylinder 1 &2 along with random misfire. It was a three hour drive and about halfway home the car would clearly misfire and jerk coming out of a stop, i crawled it the rest of the way home and it would behave ok if i kept moving keeping it at about 2000 rpm. No overheating issues, all gagues seemed to look fine .

The previous owner has replaced the plugs and coil pack. I checked to make sure the coil pack works and replaced the plugs to copper champion's and made sure they are gapped at .035. There was hugely gapped platuims in there previously. Also changed the oil, no signs of coolant in it. I also checked the fuel injectors with a noid light and the screw driver test and they all seem fine, however the second plug is newer with a different spray pattern nozzle. I noticed vaccum leaks on both the hoses attached to the valve cover, i replaced the one with the pcv valve, but didnt notice the other one untill i started taking things apart After all this no improvements, same codes, misfires and has a rough idle

Next i preformed a compression test and the results combined with the white smoke i noticed coming out the exhaust upon startup leads me to think it might be the common head crack issue or hopefully just the gasket.
Cylinders 1,3,4,5,6- 150 psi
Cylinder 2- 90 psi retested "wet" 90 psi again.

so something is mechanically wrong with this engine i am in the process of pulling the head off and taking a look.

My research also let me know about the heat soaking fuel injector three issue that could be causing the same codes/ misfires, but the compression test lends me to think its something more serious.

Anything I am missing? what do you guys think? i for sure dont want to go through all this work of pulling the head, likely replacing some expensive parts and not solving the issue

These pesky highschoolers definitely must have cleared the codes and ripped me off of all my savings, but now its time to see if i can fix this thing as i am not super mechanically inclined. Mostly just preformed all my own maintence on my truck up until this point

How can I determine what the issue is causing the low compression once i get the head off?
I had two of those misfire codes on my 97 xj. Turned out to be the cam sensor. I also replaced to crank sensor at the same time just because. No problems or codes in almost a year. Might be worth doing a resistance check on the sensor. Or just replace. They’re pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had two of those misfire codes on my 97 xj. Turned out to be the cam sensor. I also replaced to crank sensor at the same time just because. No problems or codes in almost a year. Might be worth doing a resistance check on the sensor. Or just replace. They’re pretty cheap.
Reread and saw you have coil packs. Your sensor may be different than mine

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reread and saw you have coil packs. Your sensor may be different than mine
Yeah it’s just my compression test results I really feel like I should get in there and check out cylinder 2. And send the head to get checked for cracked because it’s the faulty 0331 part number head

If there are no glaring issues or cracked head I’m and going to have to check all the electrical and sensor stuff because that’s all that I can think is left.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey y’all got everything off tonight and just pulled the valve cover, looking at all the rocker arms now. Compared to a YouTube video I watched the oil on mine looks a lot more “golden”

is this indicative of antifreeze in the oil or are the in good shape?
I did just change the oil before crawling the Jeep from my buddies where it was chilling to my garage to work at.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey y’all got everything off tonight and just pulled the valve cover, looking at all the rocker arms now. Compared to a YouTube video I watched the oil on mine looks a lot more “golden”

is this indicative of antifreeze in the oil or are the in good shape?
I did just change the oil before crawling the Jeep from my buddies where it was chilling to my garage to work at.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
That a actually looks pretty good. Dark looking oil is kinda normal but the head looks really clean, no sludge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve got everything off except for the head bolts. I need some 12 point sockets to take these suckers off they sure are cranked tight. My 13mm socketing wrench fit, but no way was I getting all 10+ out by hand.

lowkey hoping I get the head off tomorrow and it’s a blantanly blown head gasket. I’m not sure I’d be able to diagnose anything else, and don’t want to wait weeks for the machine shop to diaganose my head cracked or not or spend the money for a new one. Stay tuned guys.

aside from head gasket/cracked head what can cause low compression and misfire on cylinder two? Any test or anything particular I should look out for at this point?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ok here’s so more pics. I got the head off and from my eye don’t see any blantant cracks in the head or obvious signs of a blown gasket. What should I be looking for, and what would you guys advice to do now??

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Flip the head over. And see if the valves are all closed.
I Can see a little black, which is carbon from your exhaust between 2 and 3 3 and 4. It might be there, but I would think those other cylinders would low on compression. Try to wiggle the piston in the bore.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts