Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had the problem of the top shackle bolt not coming out? I used a lot of penetrating oil and the bolt was coming along just fine. It came out about 1/4 inch, then it just stopped coming out but it still turns. I almost think that the nut that is inserted into the frame has broken loose. Any ideas?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolt turns like it is coming out, but it doesn't. There is only one side of the bolt that I can put a wrench on and it spins freely.

·
Registered
260 Posts
the threaded insert that is welded to the inside of the frame has boken loose....you will have to cut a hole directly underneath it and tack it back into place...or hopefully get the sawzall in there to cut it.good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it fixed. I removed the bumper and cut a hole in the very end of the frame. I had to cut the bolt in 3 pieces to completely remove it and the new bolt and nut went right in with no problems. The bolt that was tack welded inside had broken loose. I was able to cut a 3 sided flap and bend it up to access the bolt. Then I just bent it back into place when I was done.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I got it fixed. I removed the bumper and cut a hole in the very end of the frame. I had to cut the bolt in 3 pieces to completely remove it and the new bolt and nut went right in with no problems. The bolt that was tack welded inside had broken loose. I was able to cut a 3 sided flap and bend it up to access the bolt. Then I just bent it back into place when I was done.
Well im glad you got it fixed, now get some pictures up of the lift:cheers:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not much of a lift. The springs are sagging so bad, the two inch shackles and spacers just brought it back to stock height. I am piecing a lift together as I can afford it. I will get pics up of that when it is done. Hopefully in the next month or two.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Has anyone ever had the problem of the top shackle bolt not coming out? I used a lot of penetrating oil and the bolt was coming along just fine. It came out about 1/4 inch, then it just stopped coming out but it still turns. I almost think that the nut that is inserted into the frame has broken loose. Any ideas?
had this happen to me today!!! used a small grinder wheel and cut a small slit under the area where the nut is, an air chisel came in handy to finish it off. had to bend it open enough to get a wrench in, wrench didnt help, i broke a craftsman, a snap on, and a cheap Taiwan wrench, so used a cuttin torch and cut the nut off through the half in slit. too much fun.:thumbdown: bought a new bolt, bought a new nut, fought with it for a half hour and finally got it in. then banged the metal back and welded it closed. not a fun job!!!!!!!! but i guarantee the final product will by far make up for it.

hope this helps!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts