Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Shakes

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  muddeprived 
#1 ·
I bought a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 4wd a year and half ago. It has 271,000 miles on it. It runs great. When I bought it, it had 245/75/16 tires on it. With no problems. Well I got a good deal on 4 used tires and rims. They are the size that was supposed to be on here 225/75/16. Now occasionally the whole Jeep shakes violently. So bad that I have to stop the vehicle. Any ideas on what the problem could be.

#2 ·
what kind of wheels, aluminum or steel? Any idea how old the tires are? One may have broken cords, or is out of balance. Check ALL your front steering and suspension components, ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, trac bar bushings, and wheel bearings should be checked for any type of play. That many miles and something is bound to be worn.

#3 ·
Does it happen only at certain speeds? Or does it start after hitting a bump at high speeds ...
do you still have the old wheels and tires? If so you could throw them back on and see if you still get the wobbles.
A simple test to start out is swapping the front tires to the back. A bad tire that causes shakes or bobbles up front may be okay in the back. But if the problem persists and lies beyond tires you might have to start looking at all suspension components as contributors.

#6 ·
It happens
Does it happen only at certain speeds? Or does it start after hitting a bump at high speeds ...
do you still have the old wheels and tires? If so you could throw them back on and see if you still get the wobbles.
A simple test to start out is swapping the front tires to the back. A bad tire that causes shakes or bobbles up front may be okay in the back. But if the problem persists and lies beyond tires you might have to start looking at all suspension components as contributors.
w
It happens when I hit a bump or on a rough road. And at any speed. No I don't have the old ones. This started within an hour of changing them.

#4 ·
Nobody is gonna use the D word? It's bad enough he has to stop the jeep, that's DeathWobble.

Definitely check the tires you got for flaws. Were they balanced when you got them? If not, get them balanced. And start checking your steering components, bushings, etc.

#7 ·
Yeah, those wheels need to be checked for balance. Since they are used, the wear patterns are off from your jeep and it'll be a fight to get broke in. Unfortunately the wheels/tires are just exposing other issues through bumpsteer. All of your front end joints need checked as Gluck stated. Id get that front end tightened up, and you'll be all set.

I didn't see any mention of a lift, is the jeep otherwise stock or does it have a small lift kit on it? With tires that small, Im guessing not, but you know what they say about making assumptions...

#10 ·
Death Wobble.

Have the tires balanced and also have the front end checked for worn suspension/steering components. Some things are bound to be worn out with that many miles especially on a jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.