Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sheered the four shock bolts in the rear that go up into the unibody when i did my lift. i relocated the mounts with bar pin eliminators. the new position isnt working for me. i dont like the angle. i would really like to get them in the stock location. i want to figure something out before my trip and before i install my future OME shocks.

do i try and tap the old holes and get the sheered bolts out so i can remount them in the stock location?

or do i try and plate it there and weld in some part pin eliminators where the stock location and angle should be?

if i try the first route, what do you guys/gals think would be the best way to get the sheered bolts out of the old holes?
:dunno:

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i did mine the first time, i drilled out the old bolts. It was a extremly difficult seeing i have no vehicle lift. Just take you time and make sure your drill is sharp. BTW why isnt the new position your currently running working?
thanks. yeah i started to drill them out originally but it wasnt going anywhere. must of been the drill bit.

the new position is somewhat working. i just dont like the angle i had to place them at. its slanted towards the driveshaft instead of straight up. i just rather get it close to original position before i put new, expensive shocks on.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Get a punch and hammer and punch them out. Hit em real hard and the tacked/welded nut will pop off. You can get some 1" or 1.5" bolts and fish them into the holes to mount the shocks. Don't bother drilling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
someone before me had already had this problem with 3 of the 4 bolts but when I did my lift this weekend I ended up braking the 4th bolt.
what we ended up doing is using an air chisel with a pointed punch bit. a couple hits and the capture nut popped right off its welds. then we fished in some new 5/16th 1.5" bolts down in from the gaps in the inner sides of the shock mounts. then somehow some way we were able to get a wrench on the bolt head enough to run the nuts up tight.

good luck. it started out as pretty good problem but in the end it wasnt a really big deal.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link. I think someone suggested that to me once. I cant justify spending the money. I could try fabing something like that up. I already relocated them I just rather weld something more permanent. I am going to take a look at it more this weekend and hopefully come up with a good solution.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I`ve never had set of rear bolts that came out...they alwayz break!....i just drill and tap....nastiest job ever....took me 6 hours once,and a hand full on drill bits......u should check out the JKS shock mount system,it has multiple mounting points....nice kit!

check it out! JKS Manufacturing: Shock Mounting Components
That's cool. Thanks for the link. I didn't have any issues getting my bolts out but I used an impact on them VERY CAREFULLY. Loosen a tiny bit, tighten it back up, loosen it a bit more, tighten back up, and repeat till it comes out. I had a load of rust fall from each bolt but they came out. :)

That JKS mount would work much better than stock. When installed normally, the shock bushing is at an angle and it can slide back and forth on the bar pin. With the JKS setup, the bolt is the opposite way and there's no pressure on the bushing to slide on the bolt. Sweet setup.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the link. I think someone suggested that to me once. I cant justify spending the money. I could try fabing something like that up. I already relocated them I just rather weld something more permanent. I am going to take a look at it more this weekend and hopefully come up with a good solution.
prolly only take u the better part of a day to fab up somthin simalar to the jks,and weld it in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts