Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few shotgun related questions that I need some help with.

1. Which delivers better performance(meaning accuracy, power, and durability) Auto or pump action shotguns?

2. Would it cost less and be a better use of my money to buy a 20-gauge, rather than a 12-gauge (weight, and recoil are not a big factor to me). I would then upgrade the choke most likely if needed. i am mainly hunting woodpeckers, squirrels, occasional jack-rabbit, and possibly turkeys. waterfowl is another possibility as well, although I don't think i'd use this gun.

3. what choke should I use on woodpeckers?

Thanks ahead of time for the help! :cheers:

·
Registered
862 Posts
:rolleyes: yeah, let the woodpeckers eat up our house, while the squirrels eat the trees? :D besides hunting is fun!! I tried hunting once today, and we are going again later on... nothing yet bu we scared a squirrel!!!
You could train that dumb dog of yours to scare away the woodpeckers...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
oh just be quiet!! and I just realized the outdoor section of general discussion :(. gonna try to copy'n'paste the questions over, I don't feel like typing it again...

EDIT: I still will look at this thread for answers so posting them here instead of the outdoor section is fine...

·
Registered
862 Posts
oh just be quiet!! and I just realized the outdoor section of general discussion :(. gonna try to copy'n'paste the questions over, I don't feel like typing it again...

EDIT: I still will look at this thread for answers so posting them here instead of the outdoor section is fine...
A moderator can move this thread over there for you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
For what you're suggesting, I hardly see the point in a shotgun... An el-cheapo .22 would do just fine. I know shotguns are fun, but still... Besides, depending where you live you might have issues (or 'they' might) blowing a shotgun off every time a squirrel scares you.

But, I'm not a gun owner... I live in the city, work in the bush... Never been afraid of a squirrel. Or for that matter, getting mauled by a bear. It's a pretty easy scenario to avoid.

·
Registered
862 Posts
For what you're suggesting, I hardly see the point in a shotgun... An el-cheapo .22 would do just fine. I know shotguns are fun, but still... Besides, depending where you live you might have issues (or 'they' might) blowing a shotgun off every time a squirrel scares you.

But, I'm not a gun owner... I live in the city, work in the bush... Never been afraid of a squirrel. Or for that matter, getting mauled by a bear. It's a pretty easy scenario to avoid.
He isn't scared of the squirrels, our dad farms walnut trees and the squirrels eat the nut and damage the trees.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
As far as guns go it follows this order for power/accucary: Single-shot, bolt-action, lever action, pump, semi-auto, auto.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
12 guage with a full, modifed, and improved cylider chokes are what you need.
For deer either 00 buck or #4 buckshot with a full or extra full choke
For squirel and rabbit if you are killing to eat so small games shot will do if you are killing to get rid of use 00 buck for fun. any of the 3 chokes above
For birds use turkey shot. improved or mod.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I wasn't replying, I went hunting :D. I currently have one 12guage and it came with full, modified, and imp. cylinder chokes. I also have lots of diff. ammo types (only 5 shots of buckshot and slug though because of prices& lack necessity) 8 shots of turkey, and a bunch of bb shot( it has a duck on front so I think it's for waterfowl). They are all 3in.

Yes I am a proud owner of two semi-auto .22s, but shotguns are much more effective for such small fast moving game(I even have a few air-guns -.22&.177- which are plenty effective for birds and squirrels)

Thanks a lot! "finneys98xj" for the help on what chokes to use for what game!! it also sounds like a 20-guage isn't much better than a 12-guage, because I don't mind the recoil of a 12-guage.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I prefere the 12 my next choise is 16, i never cared foe 20 guage.(Pump all the way)I do have a 10 guage bolt action i would not want anyone to go through that pain.

·
Registered
324 Posts
any takers on preference between 20guage and 12guage?
Depends.....

If you are shooting slugs not really.

But if you are shooting shot more pellets is better....

If you don't like the prices on 12 gauge shells, the smaller gauges cost more per shot.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This is what i shoot out of mine. Everybody was an opinion. if you shoot a slug go with the improved cyl. chokes or get a slug barrel.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd say the 12, I personally use a 20 for damn near everything, but I have a 12 bolt action goose gun. If you're going after small things, I'd almost say a 410 just so you don't go blowing chunks out of the house going after the woodpecker.

·
Registered
608 Posts
12 ga. is a little big for squirrals. could of went with a 410. but whatever. i like my semi 12. pumps are cool but when i am rabbit or bird shooting, not worrying about having to pump is sweet.
Tell me about it. The bolt action I have is a pain when you want to hit off 3 shots.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Love the sound of the semi auto and auto......they were the days.

Semi autos and autos are prohibited over here now because some idiot shot a load of people up. They reckon if it had not been an auto he would not have killed so many people.

I only use a 12 gauge for cockies etc
I use a .22 and .22 mag for rabibits, foxes, feral cats etc
I use a .223 for roos, emu and goats
I use a 300 win mag for feral donkeys and camels.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I haven't hunted in years but what I did notice back when I did was the tendancy for Guys with Automatic shotguns to shoot off 3 shell every time a bird flew through the field. More than once I have been in a Dove field and seen a single Dove fly in One end and survive a hail of buckshot and fly right out the other end. For that reason I bought a Remington 870 12 ga pump. By the time You action in that 3rd shell You have time to think "is it really still in range?";)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts