Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running 32x11.50 15 but I am thinkin about goin back to 31x10.50 15 becaus eof the sluggish way my XJ is running now. When I pull my trailer now I cant stay at speed on even the smallest incline. I thought about regearing but the money and time is just not there. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
What I would do, and I am a person who cannot "downsize" :D, is look for another set of stock steelies and donut tires to use when towing. You can get stock wheels and tires for 100 bucks in the forums and less at JY's.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
What I would do, and I am a person who cannot "downsize" :D, is look for another set of stock steelies and donut tires to use when towing. You can get stock wheels and tires for 100 bucks in the forums and less at JY's.
That actually sounds like a pretty good idea, didnt even think of that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am also thinkin of just deaking with it til the funds are there to regear. i was thinkin 4.10's. But a tow set of tires is possible too. I wont be towing to much. I am tryin to talk the wife into a WJ with tow package. We will see.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I did that when I was DD-ing my XJ for quite a while. My setup is 4.5" lift with 33's for wheeling. On the street for the daily commute I kept my stock tires and would leave them on the rig except when wheeling. I did this for a few reasons. First, it put less wear on the wheeling tires (at 1,000 miles a week I didn't want to burn them out right away). Secondly, 33's and 3.55 gears doesn't make for a fun commute. Thirdly, my stock tires were a set of BFG AT's with over 50% tread left and I'd never regain their cost so I figured that I'd drive them into the ground - and still haven't managed to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Are 4.56's good for a DD?
Yes! Love them. 80 mph = 3000 rpm (32's and 4:56)

Nice thing is I'm thinking about going to 35" tires now that I have the bushwackers on.

33's were always in the plans, but now, well I'm just glad I did the 4:56 instead of the 4:10 gears. More options, and what I have now is just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
4.56's will still work well with 35's - definately a good decision!
Good to know, thanks! Yeah I'm thinking about bead locks as well. I kinda messed up when I got the alloy wheels. They are pretty! lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
XJ98b,

I have been running 4.56 gears with 32" Pro Comp Muds for a couple of years, now. This is a little too much gear for 32s but since you tow with your XJ, I think they would be perfect for you. 70 MPH = (2300rpm) = 22mpg, 80 MPH = (2700rpm) = 18mpg. I was planning ahead, when I did my gears, to move up to 33" tires but, this is defintiely liveable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't know about Texas' laws, but I know in Jersey beadlocks are illegal on street-driven vehicles. If this is your DD, you may want to check your local laws first.
Please quote the law stating beadlocks are illegal since there are DOT-approved beadlocks which are 50 state legal.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Please quote the law stating beadlocks are illegal since there are DOT-approved beadlocks which are 50 state legal.
You will not pass inspection with them. I'm sorry I don't have the law written on my hand, but others have failed inspection with them on. In my book that does not make them street legal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the feedback. I may go the tow set of tires route. And then save up for gears.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i'm not an expert, and i don't know what the weight of what your towing. but be careful with going to 4.56 on stock axles. thats a pretty low gear and if towing thats guite a bit of stress on the axles. thats in my opinion. like i said, i'm no expert. i'm sure if i'm wrong or just too cautious someone will let me know. and thats cool.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You will not pass inspection with them. I'm sorry I don't have the law written on my hand, but others have failed inspection with them on. In my book that does not make them street legal.
No, that doesn't make them illegal. It makes for inspectors that don't really know the law, push their own bias's on unsuspecting people and those same people allowing themselves to be pushed around by bullies. Bead locks, in and of themselves are legal in all 50 states. If any "inspector" tells you otherwise, make them cite the specific law and if they can't, you should go to court to push it thru. Don't be bullied by these clowns.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts