Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So, regearing done and I'm certain I nailed it. Backlash was great, pattern was great, and pinion preload was perfect. Have roughly 350 miles on the break-in and no abnormal noises.

The only thing that showed up is a nasty vibration that took me a bit to locate. Going from 3.07 to 4.56 I realized the driveshaft would be spinning A LOT faster. So I had the rebuilt drivashaft looked at again and nothing was wrong. We decided to completely remove the drive shaft, put it in 2hi, and put it in 1st gear from a stand still. I got under the Jeep and immediately saw the output shaft wobbling...SHIT, output shaft looks bent!!! Good thing I have that older transfer case out of a 93 Cherokee Sport, NP242. More work than I really wanted to go through right now though. I wasn't planning on installing that until I knew all the cost factors associated with the swap. Sucks to be me right now.

If I could find another output shaft for an NP231 I would just replace that for now. But I can't find anything for it. Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Your 231 is a better transfer case for all intensive purposes
Just wondering if you should consider a sye kit. Getting a good kit with a shorter shaft, would probably best course of action?

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
I agree. A good upgrade. Does involve a new drive shaft and resetting the pinion angle, but well worth it.
Besides, most people end up wanting more lift as time goes on and you will already have that part done

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So, if I were to just replace the current NP231 bent output shaft, what would I be looking for??

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This is the type of kit you could use. I got lucky and found a transfer case from a guy on Craigslist for $250

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I agree. A good upgrade. Does involve a new drive shaft and resetting the pinion angle, but well worth it.
Besides, most people end up wanting more lift as time goes on and you will already have that part done
The thing is you can go get the correct drive shaft out of grand cherokee. The front drive shaft from the right grand will bolt right in. Unless you get crazy with rock crawling you really don't needed a expensive drive shaft. Mine cost me $45

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
Got to thinking, I know it is bad for me. But I went back over your thread and noticed you have a 3" lift on a late XJ. These have kind of a short drive shaft, or should I say short slip yoke. What you have is the typical slip yoke that is pulled out too far so it doesn't fall out, but it is far enough out that it will be kind of loose. So you get vibrations. I am afraid the only cure is the slip yoke eliminator. Besides, once you get a diferent type of drive shaft back there, you will like it better

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My drive shaft has been rebuilt and extended by my bud here in Bend. He runs the local Napa machine shop. And I'm also going to be fixing my lift. The idiot i bought this thing from put a 2.5" in the front and 3" in the rear. So I decided I'm going to just go ahead and get 4" springs front and rear, seeing as I went with 4.56 gearing and will be putting 33's or 35's on it. I already have the other supporting mods anyway, so why not. The only thing I am realizing is I will be selling my new Bilstein 5100's for a 3" lift so I can get the proper 4" absorbers.

So, will any stock NP231 output shaft work for my Jeep...until I decide I'm ready to do the NP242 swap??

Thanks again for all the insight from everyone.

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
If your drive shaft is long enough, yes. Now about your shocks. Don't get rid of them yet. Install your lift, let the springs droop and if you have a little shock travel left, just bump stop accordingly. When you buy shocks for a specified lift, it doesn't really mean all that much. When I get shocks I do it by shock extended and compressed length.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So, I'm realizing that my driveshaft being rebuilt and extended only gave me a temporary resolve. As, from reading replies here, I am still going to be fighting pinion angle and refuse to just put a bandaid on it in doing a transfer case drop. And as I stated regarding the NP242 swap, It will be a while before I make the transition. So, with saying that, It looks like I will be doing a SYE. In the process of doing this I will be replacing my rebuilt driveshaft and need help with chosing the right solution for a replacement. Also, with a SLE and a double cardan will I still be having to fight pinion angle?? I want to do this all right the first time without the use of temporary fixes. Remember when responding, These modifications wil be with the current NP231.

On a side note, being the fact my output shaft is bent, will the SYE kit be replacing the NP231 output shaft coming out of the transfer case??

Thoughts and suggestions are needed on this one as well. Thanks in advance all!!!

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
The SYE replaces the output shaft, yes. Thats part of the reason it was suggested to you from the get-go. Plus, its probably almost as cheap to buy an sye kit than a stock output shaft (Im guessing here).
Advance Adapters is what you want, or you can go for the super nice stuff and go with JB Conversions.

An SYE is easy and you don't even have to take the tcase out of the jeep if you don't want to. You'll need to order a driveshaft from somewhere or locate a stock front shaft. My 01 auto on 4" lift takes identical shafts front and rear. Super handy feature.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sounds like a SLE and a front double cardan out of the front end of another Cherokee will be in my near future.

Now what about pinion angle issues with that particular setup?? Will it be something i will still need to sweat about??

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Probably not. You'll find out when you get the sye done and start driving it. I have longer shackles and relocators and Im happy with my angles. But it all depends on your spring/shackle setup and lift.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
SYE kit, double cardan shaft, 4" leaf lift, no blocks, no shims, and no shackles.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts