Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering has been ... sluggish? Sometimes it gets difficult to turn when making slow turns, like when parking. If I rev the engine it gets easier. (Manual transmission means this is an easy option to just fix it a rev)
Is this indicative of the pump failing?
There is also an active leak from the high pressure hose. So I’m thinking that if I have to replace that hose, should I go ahead and replace the pump too?
Does this sluggish difficult steering mean the pump is failing or could it be something else? Does not feel like binding, just feels like lack of power assist. Rest of steering is new and working fine including reman Durango gear box.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
My opinion is that you are probably due for a new pump. If you are going new you might want to check out the aftermarket super pumps. They pump more volume and pressure. Late WJ is also a good option

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My remanned WJ pump in my WJ is still noisy as hell. Might be worth getting New for this one.
Grr. Things keep stealing my fun-stuff money.
Were the WJ pumps from a 4.0 and the 4.7 different pumps?

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
That I am not sure of. To be safe, use the V8 pump

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Use a wj v8 pump or maybe yours needs bled? A leak could allow for air bubbles, so get the fluid level up and run it lock to lock until level isn't dropping anymore. But perhaps youve already done that?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use a wj v8 pump or maybe yours needs bled? A leak could allow for air bubbles, so get the fluid level up and run it lock to lock until level isn't dropping anymore. But perhaps youve already done that?
I’ve thought that but not acted on it yet. Possible the leaky hose may be introducing air .
I’m not crazy about the WJ pump idea, they are ALL noisy. Unless I get maybe a new PSC?

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Mine is a PSC. No noise. Make sure you use power steering oil instead of ATF. The higher viscosity will make it operate quieter

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is a PSC. No noise. Make sure you use power steering oil instead of ATF. The higher viscosity will make it operate quieter
Yes, been using standard power steering fluid.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Guaranteed to be noisy. If you flush it it will be quieter. And pressure at low RPM will increase too

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Revisiting this again after topping off my PS fluid again tonight. The driveway puddles are spreading.
Been searching on the WJ pump swap, and there seem to be some unresolved hang ups, dealing with the different high pressure fitting sizes and return fittings, and balancing the additional power vs too MUCH assist at highway speeds...
Also thinking now is it possible that maybe the sluggish behavior is not a failing stock pump but just a limitation of the stock pump with the Durango box? does the Durango box require a higher flow or pressure than stock XJ box? If so would a WJ pump work better? Im getting confused with too many opinions and too few facts.
On the WJ swap, the WJ HP fitting is larger than the XJ. The fittings are compatible, meaning you can thread the XJ fitting and hose directly into the WJ fitting. Some folks drill out the XJ fitting to the same opening as the WJ fitting to allow the same flow rate as intended for the stock WJ setup. If not drilled out and restricted to XJ opening, theoretically you're not using the potential of the WJ pump.
But then people report whining and cavitation with the drilled out fitting. There are two return fittings on the WJ reservoir, you must use the larger one, or get a lot of noise.
Some people were able to get it to run quiet with drilled fitting and larger return line, and get so much assist it gets squirrely at high speeds. I'm already dealing with steering that cant find center. Some people installed a fluid cooler in line too, some people didn't.
Seems fairly straightforward to get a WJ pump and reservoir (new, reman, or salvage?) and use stock XJ pressure line without drilling fitting, use adapter to .5" lower return line (cap the other unused return port) and just run it, hoping it will make some sort of improvement. If my stock box is actually failing AND the WJ box is in good shape (again, new/remann/salvage?) then i should at least see SOME improvement over my current situation.

But also seems like getting a PSC would be more of a guarantee of a good quality, fully compatible component that i wouldnt have to question. I like that thought best...

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Lots of questions. First, extra volume is not a problem. That is what pressure relief valves are for. Second, the Durango box has a larger piston and will need more volume, approx 50% to perform equally. The fluid cooler is not necessary, but the WJ has one. I don't have the WJ pump, but have the equivalent PSC pump with a standard sized box and no problems

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
My understanding has always been that a WJ pump will work equally as well with a durango box as a stock pump does, just on the other side of the spectrum. The specturm being that the stock pump is slower (but works perfectly fine), and the WJ pump is faster but also working fine.

I have a stock pump and durango box. Every once and awhile I need to bump the gas when cranking the wheels at engine idle. I am not concerned. I'm pretty used to it. You don't notice this behavior when actually driving around, just sitting in the driveway stationary.

I don't know anything about drilling a fitting on a WJ pump. Id have to go back and check my old research.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rock Auto carries a new Manufacture pump from "Lares". It's about 120 dollars but it seems that remanned pumps and boxes have such god awful QC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts