Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started with a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (had about $13 invested buying the jeep and all), My gf and I found a house so that meant that I had to part with it so found someone to take over payment and signed over the title for a 1997 Trans AM WS6 to compensate the $2k boot I wanted.

Found a guy who wanted the trans am and was wanting to trade me his XJ for it. SO I took the car to him and brought the jeep back, so i ended up with this for a grand total of $550 (what it cost for the rollback to take him the car and bring the jeep back.)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Auto
103k miles

Mods: ARB Bull bar, Warn 9.5k winch, brand new Summit Racing Mud Dawgs 32/11.50 on stock 15" wheels, Taillight covers, Rock Sliders, Roof rack, Hella Backup fog lights, IPF Fogs on bumper, KC lights on rack, HI Lift Jack, Dual Chamber Flow master muffler, Cobra CB, Rusty's front sway bar

The lift im not so sure about...its either a BDS 4.5" or 6" short arm and im pretty sure either way it has 6" springs.

Now then after all that, im trying to decide what to do next. I cannot decide what wheels to get, either steel or alloy but i know that i want black. And as far as tires im not sure what size to run, the wheel/tire combo on it now rubs on the inside when i turn deep or get flexing.

Also some ideas i was tossing around were the pocket style bushwacker flares but i wasnt sure if they would be damaged when flexed out, and i was also thinking of an Exo-cage.

I am open to any ideas and would greatly appreciate any help and pics you may have!

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
first off. wow! nice looking XJ, Great Trade. low miles to, thats awesome.

as far as wheels, a lot of people run crager soft 8's, black of coarse, otherwise procomp makes some and they are all relatively cheap.

as far as the bushwacker's that is up to you, with budget and the type of wheeling you are thinking about doing. bushwacker are prone to getting busted somehow especially with the rocks. i mean any fender flare has that possibility but not all of them are the price of bushwackers.

if you are looking for other things to do, any kind of armor or skid plates is def. up there on the list.
solid has their diff. covers on sale right now. i dont remember their link off the top of my head. gas skid, transfer case skid, you name it. otherwise random stuff like front axle truss from tnt customs (treksoffroad.com) or frame stiffeners from the same place.

but either way good luck and nice rig.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first off. wow! nice looking XJ, Great Trade. low miles to, thats awesome.

as far as wheels, a lot of people run crager soft 8's, black of coarse, otherwise procomp makes some and they are all relatively cheap.

as far as the bushwacker's that is up to you, with budget and the type of wheeling you are thinking about doing. bushwacker are prone to getting busted somehow especially with the rocks. i mean any fender flare has that possibility but not all of them are the price of bushwackers.

if you are looking for other things to do, any kind of armor or skid plates is def. up there on the list.
solid has their diff. covers on sale right now. i dont remember their link off the top of my head. gas skid, transfer case skid, you name it. otherwise random stuff like front axle truss from tnt customs (treksoffroad.com) or frame stiffeners from the same place.

but either way good luck and nice rig.

Thanks! I would feel better about the jeep if I had built it from stock but I figure Ill just take it like it is and put my own swing on it.

Another wheel option I had thought of was a set of Rubicon wheels, but I wasnt sure how the offset would work as far as rubbing.

Thanks again!

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Usually the best backspacing to get is 4.5" - it's a very versatile backspacing. If you want inexpensive, then go with steel wheels as alloys are more expensive.

I personally would skip on the Bushwackers because they're brittle and they'll break at the site of a tree or rock. I personally like the flare-less look.

I personally would start with taking that $550 and taking care of any maintenance it may need. Change all the fluids, u-joints, etc. If that's done already, or you have cash left over from it, then invest in skid plates (tcase, gas tank, rock sliders, etc).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually the best backspacing to get is 4.5" - it's a very versatile backspacing. If you want inexpensive, then go with steel wheels as alloys are more expensive.

I personally would skip on the Bushwackers because they're brittle and they'll break at the site of a tree or rock. I personally like the flare-less look.

I personally would start with taking that $550 and taking care of any maintenance it may need. Change all the fluids, u-joints, etc. If that's done already, or you have cash left over from it, then invest in skid plates (tcase, gas tank, rock sliders, etc).
Thanks! yeah ive done all the maintenance, actually did that the day after i brought it home. Was looking at the skids and im definitely going to get some right after i change the wheels and tires, about talked myself into some soft 8s with Cooper Discover STT tires or some BFG not sure.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Jeep looks nice. Not that it really makes any difference to anything, but that roof rack is by Warrior Products. I've got the same rack on my XJ minus the lights and spare tire. It's pretty nice, and very sturdy.

For the wheels and tires, and I'd recommend some 15x8's. If you like the black wheel look go for some Cragar Soft 8s. Some guys prefer the D-window look, but I think the ones with the round holes look better personally. The backspacing will probably be 4", which is pretty common on most aftermarket steel rims. We're running the ProComp Rockcrawler rims which have 3.75" backspacing (they look just like the Cragar d-window rims). Can't go wrong with BFG tires.

One thing to keep in mind is that any larger on the tires or wider or more offset on the rims and you'll have to do some fender trimming to clear the tires off-road.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
if you are thinking about going for the BFG AT's you might consider looking into the General Grabber AT2's. they are almost 100% identical to the BFG AT's in tread pattern. they are extreme weather rated and cost much less. I am running them as a AT and am very pleased. when i bought them, the tire shop had them for sale side-by-side of a BFG AT to show similarities. In fact, JP mag. April, 2009 issue, they put those tires on their new steal J or whatever for that read YJ and he says he loves them so far. But just my 2 cents, the BFG are awesome to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts