Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Snatch block can double the pulling power of any winch". So the ? is.... Say I buy a 3,000lbs winch, if I use a snatch block for a double pull. I could pull 6,000lbs ? The other ? is... Could it be possible to leave a stock plasic bumper on and still have a winch? Like maybe cut a hole in the plastic just enough for a winch, and fix it to the stock steel bumper thats under the plastic bumper ? If ya can help Thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbdown:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
That snatch block statement is often thrown around improperly. No, for simple reasons a 3,000 lb winch will not do you any good. Rule of thumb is to get a winch that can pull 1.5 times the weight of your rig, so for an XJ, an 8,000 lb winch is a typical solution. That snatch block comment is only really true when you're using a snatch block and bringing the line back to your Jeep. So say you have a tree directly infront of you, and you use a tree saver and hook a snatchblock to it. Then you run the line from your winch, to the block, back to your rig, then you double the pulling power. You're also not doubling the pulling power, your increaseing the amount that the winch can pull, I am not very sure on the theory behind it - hopefully someone else can chime in.

The winch should be mounted directly to the "frame". That's why most people who have winches on their XJ's use a winch-mount bumper to secure it to the framerails. Winching puts alot of stress on the frame of any vehicle, so good mounting locations are key.

·
Registered
600 Posts
"Snatch block can double the pulling power of any winch". So the ? is.... Say I buy a 3,000lbs winch, if I use a snatch block for a double pull. I could pull 6,000lbs ?
Yes this statement is true, but I would not recommend this for a vehicle. The winch's rating is for it's fist layer of cable only. By the second layer of said 3k winch, it could probably only pull 2k lbs since the diameter in which the cable needs to wrap is increased. Also, you wold need to use a snatch block every time. What if the closest tree is 80' away but you only have 100' of cable? You would be screwed. Thirdly, if your 4k lb vehicle is stuck in mud, or on an incline, it takes more than 4k lbs to pull it out.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You're also not doubling the pulling power, your increaseing the amount that the winch can pull, I am not very sure on the theory behind it - hopefully someone else can chime in.
It's actually pretty simple physics: Force= Work/Dist. Double the distance, cut the force in half.

Here is a thread I found that explains it well Snatch Block Theory - JeepForum.com

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Check out detoursusa.com backbone system. It gives you a solid winch mount but you maintain the stock bumper and look.

It's a bolt on and you just cut a few notches in the thin factory bumper. It also includes recover points!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Check out detoursusa.com backbone system. It gives you a solid winch mount but you maintain the stock bumper and look.

It's a bolt on and you just cut a few notches in the thin factory bumper. It also includes recover points!
Good suggestion except he has a Grand Cherokee!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Whoa what the heck, i have never seen that before!!!!! how come they aren't listed under the products category or on the home page?

Even still, he has a wj and the backbone is for a zj. unless theres another detours product hidden somewhere :D

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the help! Now I wont do the stupid thing.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Whoa what the heck, i have never seen that before!!!!! how come they aren't listed under the products category or on the home page?

Even still, he has a wj and the backbone is for a zj. unless theres another detours product hidden somewhere :D
Since that is a direct link to the page, I wonder if they make or offer them anymore??? Yeah I didn't pay any attention to the year:brickwall:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Drakan1908.... That Backbone Bumper System is sweet, if you can find one for a wj let me know....Thats what I have been looking for :) Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts