Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side shock is compressed about 1 and 1/2 inches more than the driver's side. It looks like the lower mount(passenger) is raised up due to pinion angle changes from an sye setup and the driver's side is lowered. The shock bushing sits on the lower passenger bolt at a bad angle. If both shock mounts were either on the backside or front side of the axle, this wouldn't be an issue.

Looks like I'm gonna have to use two different bumpstop lengths out back or set both sides to the passenger side's length.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Huh, I never noticed that. Could explain why I got through bushings about every 3 months.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, I never noticed that. Could explain why I got through bushings about every 3 months.
Passenger side? I did notice my OME bushing from the passenger side was chewed up a little bit too.

Driver's side seems to sit on the bolt just right but the passenger side is angled quite a bit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
the shocks are mount on opposite ends of the tube to help eliminate axle wrap.....the xj stock rear shock mounts are a bad set once the vehicle is lifted.they hang so low,that once the axle is rotated for pinion angle,the shock mount goemetry drasticaly changes....even a couple dgerees makes huge difference......the other down fall is they are rock anchors.

The fix............. JKS Manufacturing: FAB Parts

i use jks as an example cuz its well built stuff,and they get the point across.
Once you have acheived your optimal pinion angle,cut your old mounts clean off.....then postion the new assembly so the mounting stud is 90 degrees with face of the mount,so the lower bushing is not binding,also keeping the original opposite side mounting style....then weld it up,or have somebody weld it for ya.no more binding,and you gain some clearence.You also have way more options for shock lengths.

I ran the jks rears on a previous axle set up.For my 9 inch,I made my own mounts,similar to the jks`s......see if i can find a pic...............

not the best pic.....but you can see the mounting points are raised and level,and still on opposite sides....works great........my rear shocks are for a 3inch lifted xj...they still have tons of travel.They sit right in the middle at ride height

·
Registered
378 Posts
the shocks are mount on opposite ends of the tube to help eliminate axle wrap.....the xj stock rear shock mounts are a bad set once the vehicle is lifted.they hang so low,that once the axle is rotated for pinion angle,the shock mount goemetry drasticaly changes....even a couple dgerees makes huge difference......the other down fall is they are rock anchors.

The fix............. JKS Manufacturing: FAB Parts
Yup, my thoughts exactly. I've got a set of those JKS mounts in a box in my garage, waiting for me to find the time to cut the stock mounts off and weld on the new ones. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry, new to all this..but do you need to buy the rear shocks seperate? I bought the RE SF 3.5" lift and im getting ready for the install..but it didnt come with rear shocks. Is there anything that I need to have for installation day, that does not come with the kit i bought?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, new to all this..but do you need to buy the rear shocks seperate? I bought the RE SF 3.5" lift and im getting ready for the install..but it didnt come with rear shocks. Is there anything that I need to have for installation day, that does not come with the kit i bought?
RE 3.5" superflex comes all hardware and springs to lift it 3.5" but it does not include shocks or transfer case drop / sye driveshaft (you need either a drop or sye if you get vibrations after the lift). If you need shocks, contact Jason on here, his post is right above yours.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i bought a pair of front shocks, the twintubes..but how about the back?
I would just get the same twintubes for the rear too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts