Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently replaced the stereo in my 01 XJ (third time, but first time doing it just to upgrade...twice before because of thieves). Now the speaker in the front passenger door is only working when the door is open. I can move the wires that run between the door and the body and get it to cut in and out. I pulled the door panel and checked the speaker connections and they're fine. Does this mean there's likely a short in the wires between the door and body? I'm more of a woodworker than an electrician, so any help is appreciated.

And just to throw it in since it might be related...I had to replace the passenger side mirror when a drunk driver knocked if off a few years ago. It's power, and worked fine until about a year ago, at which point it stopped working altogether. I checked that connection while I had the panel off and it seems fine. Might this be related even though the two problems arose about a year apart?

01 XJ
Power windows/locks/mirrors (window and locks work fine)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, check the wire in the rubber boot between the door and doorjamb. Bet the problem is there, shorted wire, could be problem with mirror also. Hope you find it, good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, check the wire in the rubber boot between the door and doorjamb. Bet the problem is there, shorted wire, could be problem with mirror also. Hope you find it, good luck. :cheers:
Thanks, tbone... When I get in there, will I find it easier to fix just a couple of wires, or replace the entire set (harness?)?

·
Registered
376 Posts
it depends on how bad the wires are... if its just a few messed up then replace those.. but if its alot more than just a couple you might wanna just replace those too.. you will be happy you did later on. ;) but thats just my opinion. good luck bro. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
581 Posts
it depends on how bad the wires are... if its just a few messed up then replace those.. but if its alot more than just a couple you might wanna just replace those too.. you will be happy you did later on. ;) but thats just my opinion. good luck bro. :thumbsup:
I agree completly, if it's just a couple just fix them but if it's a lot you would be better off just replacing the harness. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I upgraded the speakers and still had problems so I cut the factory wires at the plug in the door and inside the Jeep about 6" past the rubber boot. Then I taped new speaker wire to the old wires and pulled the new ones through the boot and ran them to the stereo, doing away with the factory wiring. It is a lot easier to do it this way because it is a pain in the butt to pop the boot off and back on and darn near impossible to fish them through.
Hope this helps ya, good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this post while researching yesterday. Though I'd add my 2 cents. I did this repair on the driver-side last night for speaker wires. I'm going to repair the right side tonight.

I couldn't find a broken wire visibly, and really there was no need to do so. The speaker wasn't working and there are only 2 wires connecting it. Simply re-run the 2 wires as this is a notorious issue on the XJ. The first step is to locate the wires that are affected and note their color. If you are only replacing a few of the wires, there really is no need to remove the old wire. Sometimes (as was the case for me here) the old wire is stuck or brittle enough that it continues to break if you try to pull it through. The easiest was to run the new wire was to use something to fish the wire. In my case an old metal coat hanger was available. Be sure to bend the end back to make a blunt point. I doubled it over and crimped it tightly together with pliers. Next, it seemed logically to me to push from the inside (cabin area) out due to the door boot design of the harness. Also note that there was a wire-tie on the inside boot to keep it tight. I cut this off while running the new wires and you can replace it after. Push the coat hanger down the center of the wire bundle and feed it through the harness into the door frame. Now, create an eye by doubling the other end of the coat hanger over with pliers. Loop the new wire around (think inter-locking index fingers of opposite hands). Try to get everthing as small as possible to help pulling through. You want to minimize bulk. Also use electrical tape to cover this joint of wire and coat hanger. One more thing that will help is to use a soapy water solution. Just a small amount will work wonders. Caveat emptor as you may be working on power wires that have cracked insulation, but know that auto plants use similar techniques on the assembly line when running some of the harnesses. Now you should be able to pull the hanger through and the wire will follow. use butt-splices to repair the suspect wires and you should be all set.

Notes:
-You may need to perform the procedure more than once, depending on the number of wires you are replacing. In my case, I pulled 4 in one shot without issue.
-If the inter-door boot or the cabin boot become dislodged, you can easily re-seat them in the sheet metal. The soapy water solution will help here, too.
-Be sure to use appropriate grade wire for the repair... and definitely use something more flexible than the OE design and its poorly engineered (was it even tested) fatigue life in this area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
the wires in the boot between the door and the body are notorious for breakage. Open it up, repair it and your good to go. I had to on mine.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Bump. Started working on this in my Jeep tonight. Speaker and wire replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2001 XJ. It seems to suffer from all of the standard issues (cracked head, front speakers not working, and AC evaporator failing in dash).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts