·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum. Thanks for any input.
94 xj sport
4 door
4.0 liter
I just put new tires on yesterday. 235/75r15 snow tires.
Drove to friends about 100 km. No problems. After visit, I warmed up vehicle before leaving. Check engine light came on. It does this sometimes when idling for a while. I shut it off and restart and it stays off for rest of drive. Has done this for years. This time check light did not shut off after restart. I drive about 50 km and suddenly tach, speedo, volt meter, radio, lights and turn signals quit. Gas and temp and oil gauges still working. Normal power. I pull over and idle a second and she starts to stall. Give a touch of gas, barely keeps running. Suddenly everything is operational again but when I hit the gas the belt squeals (maybe from the almost stall). I drive the remaining 50 kms home, engine light still on but no problems. Belt squealed a bit under hard power at first but then no squeal. When I get home, I shut it off. Restart and no engine light. No squeal.
Could the vehicle speed sensor vs new tire size be the issue? Strange it happened a day after new tires and then a drive on the highway.
Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
10,600 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I don't think the tires really had anything to do with it. Check you grounds. Clean your battery terminals. Clean the grounds that attach below the dizzy. And the one on the fender and the one that attaches to the firewall behind the valve cover. Pull your gauge cluster, reseat the electrical connectors.
You've said what's wrong but no mention of corrective actions.
How many miles? Do they salt the roads where you live? Lots of rust or a clean body?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I don't think the tires really had anything to do with it. Check you grounds. Clean your battery terminals. Clean the grounds that attach below the dizzy. And the one on the fender and the one that attaches to the firewall behind the valve cover. Pull your gauge cluster, reseat the electrical connectors.
You've said what's wrong but no mention of corrective actions.
How many miles? Do they salt the roads where you live? Lots of rust or a clean body?
Thanks for the welcome. I will try your suggestions. Tire size didn't really make sense to me, just a strange coincidence. Yeah, she's got almost 200k miles, some rust and treated roads. I definitely see what you are getting at. A poor ground or connection makes way more sense with those symptoms. Will get to cleaning and checking connections. Thank you for the troubleshooting. Much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,600 Posts
No problem. We are here to Jeep!
I typed in help, but autocorrect changed it to Jeep. So I left it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts