Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 xj with 210,000 miles on the 242 4.0L has been sputtering and while braking it seems like it wants to stall out. I have replaced the tps, the iac, i put taylor spark plug wires on it with a MSD blaster coil. Replaced the cap and rotor on the distribito. And replaced the fuel pump and pressure regulator, does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Have you tried replacing the spark plugs? Make sure to use Champions

When you swapped the plug wires did you make sure they went back on correctly? Was the sputtering before or after the plug wires?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was before, replaced the plugs with no change, i had e3s on it and it ran beautifully until the engine started running rich. I put champion double platinum plugs in it now and they got fouled out after a few miles. I just want to make sure there is nothing I'm missing. I fixed the rich mixture issue and plan on replacing the

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
A vacuum gauge is the best way. If you don't have one, check the hose going to the booster, if its cracked and dry rotted, replace it. check all your vacuum lines, if they are brittle or show lots of little cracks, replace them. you can spray starting fluid on your vacuum lines with the engine running, and if the idle smooths out or increases, you found your leak.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Pop your hood and listen for hissing. That's how I find mine

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
They say another way to check for vacuum leaks is to spray along each vacuum line with carb cleaner while idling.
If you spray in an area of a leak, the vacuum will inhale the carb cleaner and the engine will idle down drastically and try to stall.
Idk I've never actually tried it yet?

Kinda makes sense though
:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
They say another way to check for vacuum leaks is to spray along each vacuum line with carb cleaner while idling.
If you spray in an area of a leak, the vacuum will inhale the carb cleaner and the engine will idle down drastically and try to stall.
Idk I've never actually tried it yet?

Kinda makes sense though
:unsure:
I half agree with you. I thought the cleaner would actually make it idle faster, I know starting fluid will, but its E-X-T-R-E-M-L-Y D-A-N-G-E-O-U-S!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts