Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after considerable thought, I decided to swap my NP242 for the more common NP231J. But before I do the swap, I wanted to 'beef up' the NP231. I procured a stock case fron the salvage yard for $100. With lack of anything better to do today, I disassembled the 231. Going to the pick-n-pull tomorrow to source a 6 pinion planetary gear from a NP241 and a wider chain and sprockets from a NP231HD. Then I think I'm going to order the HD SYE from Performance Offroad Center. I'll keep you updated on the progress...

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Unfortunately, I think they're pretty expensive, over $600. I have never really looked into them all that much as it hasn't been on my reasonable to-do list. If I were to spend that much money on a tcase upgrade, I'd try to find an NP241 out of a Rubi.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I wouldnt purchase from PORC, I've read some bad things recently about them....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Unfortunately, I think they're pretty expensive, over $600. I have never really looked into them all that much as it hasn't been on my reasonable to-do list. If I were to spend that much money on a tcase upgrade, I'd try to find an NP241 out of a Rubi.
holy cow... that is pretty spendy.. is it a whole new planetary box or just it internals??

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
how much do those run 2000xj?? i was thinkin about doing that to mine..
Prices I have seen start at $1,100. You get a whole new planetary, front halve of the case. By the time you do this, upgrade the chain and SYE, you might as well just pony up for the Atlas. It will be about the same and stronger.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Prices I have seen start at $1,100. You get a whole new planetary, front halve of the case. By the time you do this, upgrade the chain and SYE, you might as well just pony up for the Atlas. It will be about the same and stronger.
Wow, I didn't think they were THAT much... I never researched it as much.

Most Rubi tcases I've seen in my area have gone for between $700-$1000 bucks. Even then you still have to make changes to the input/output shafts, I think to make it work.

On the other hand, once you build a tcase, you will most likely just keep it and move it from one rig to the other as you go building/destroying/selling them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
it seems like thats the cure-all..

have this long equation of prices to build one transfercase then after the equal sign instead of a number it should just say "BUY AN ATLAS"

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldnt purchase from PORC, I've read some bad things recently about them....
Care to elaborate on that? Where should I get an HD SYE from? I got my wide chain/gears today...going to find the planetary tomorrow.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you considered a 4:1 kit as well?
I think I'm going to stay away from the 4:1 kit for the time being. Can't justify the cost...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Care to elaborate on that? Where should I get an HD SYE from? I got my wide chain/gears today...going to find the planetary tomorrow.
There was this huge thread on Pirate about it, I guess recently he has ripped a bunch of people off, not sending parts but also not giving out refunds. Let me see if I can find the thread for you.

I would recommend buying directly from Advanced Adaptors. Only like 20 bucks more than the PORC and I guess their customer service is really good. New Process 231 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kits

Edit: found a couple threads for you
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745308
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606915&highlight=porc
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719493&highlight=porc

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
When I bought my motor mounts for installing my 4.3L Chevy, I couldn't get it to fit without having an exhaust manifold in the vacuum lines for the front disconnect. I called them and the general manager called me back and explained that they had used 3.8L manifolds. I told him I was concerned that the smog referee would know the difference. So he refunded my money and sent me a set of V8 motor mounts for pieces for fabbing. I used their adapter for the 4L60E to the tcase. I called them up and said it dripped a little and couldn't get it to seal. They sent me free of charge an extra ring and gaskets.

It just doesn't get any better than that!

·
Registered
444 Posts
do you have any pics of that build?? i'd love to see some builds of XJ's with chevy shit fabbed onto them

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I have a few. However, I have the motor, tranny and tcae out of it now making a new exhast system and installing headers and clocking my Atlas/Users/stevehoward/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/1980/Jan 1, 1980/IMG_0079.JPG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts