Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 1985 XJ 2.5 L 5 speed manual. Jeep is having issues starting. Will crank over but not start. I have felt that it has taken longer to start over time and it now will not start at all. I am pretty sure that it is the crankshaft position sensor or the starting motor. I am attempting to replace both, however, I am unsure of what branded parts to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Potentially links to ones that they believe will fit? If anyone also has any advice on the installation it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all, I have a 1985 XJ 2.5 L 5 speed automatic. Jeep is having issues starting. Will crank over but not start. I have felt that it has taken longer to start over time and it now will not start at all. I am pretty sure that it is the crankshaft position sensor or the starting motor. I am attempting to replace both, however, I am unsure of what branded parts to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Potentially links to ones that they believe will fit? If anyone also has any advice on the installation it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
I recently installed a new battery so I am quite positive that is not the issue.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
I am a little confused, does your four banger have a carburetor or throttle body fuel injection?

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
That is what I thought, just letting you be self aware. So you have to go old school on this one. First thing I would do (I have an 86) is get a little starting fluid and squirt a small amount in the air cleaner and turn it over. It will make it knock on start up, but you will then know it is fuel related, such as bad check valve in the fuel system, dry carb etc. If it doesn't do anything I would look at spark issues. The best thing is use an inductive timing light when you crank it, or you can pull a plug, stick a phillips screw driver in the plug wire and hold it near a ground and see if it sparks. You an do that with the coil wire too

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I thought, just letting you be self aware. So you have to go old school on this one. First thing I would do (I have an 86) is get a little starting fluid and squirt a small amount in the air cleaner and turn it over. It will make it knock on start up, but you will then know it is fuel related, such as bad check valve in the fuel system, dry carb etc. If it doesn't do anything I would look at spark issues. The best thing is use an inductive timing light when you crank it, or you can pull a plug, stick a phillips screw driver in the plug wire and hold it near a ground and see if it sparks. You an do that with the coil wire too
Okay I will attempt to try the starting fluid fix. Air cleaner as in the round filter within the carb housing? Do I squirt the fluid directly on the filter? I may be super wrong but I am trying to learn haha! I do not think it is a starting motor issue as it cranks over strong.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
With the air cleaner on, squirt into the intake

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the air cleaner on, squirt into the intake
Thank you sir! This seemed to work. I changed out a fuse, then used the starting fluid as the Jeep has not ran in a few weeks. Started right up! However, the engine seems to misfire. Going to check my plugs today. As a fellow 80s Cherokee man, do you have any spark plugs you recommend? Also, what do you gap yours to? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
In those early engines I like to run hot plugs unless you are in really hot weather. I have tried several types, but the best I think are the iridium plugs. They seem to have a hotter spark. Those don't need to be gapped.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In those early engines I like to run hot plugs unless you are in really hot weather. I have tried several types, but the best I think are the iridium plugs. They seem to have a hotter spark. Those don't need to be gapped.
This is the blown fuse, totally melted. Wrapped up my ground wire in electrical tape until I can get a new one. When it shorted it totally melted part of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
What is that fuse for?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is that fuse for?
You can see the housing for it in the first photo, my uncle installed it. It is a fuse that is connected to where all of my electrical parts are grounded to. If it shorted, I'm imagining that I need to redo my grounds and my battery ground cable.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
That is something I wish I could see in person. Wouldn't take me long to sort it out in my shop, but yes, you have a short. Do you know how to use an ohm meter to chase it down?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts