Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jeep isn't getting power at all. I had it running, parked it, and went to start it about an hour later and it had absolutely no power. The interior lights wouldn't even come on. Its not the battery because I did eventually get it started, I went back and it just started right up so I know its not the battery. It was dark outside when this happened so I didn't get a chance to look under the hood. I did check the terminals and they are on tight. I think its a bad ground wire? Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Could be the ignition switch on the steering column. It is under the dash and sitting right on top those are prone to burn up and act up intermittently. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Could be the ignition switch on the steering column. It is under the dash and sitting right on top those are prone to burn up and act up intermittently. Just a thought.
that would be what i would suspect too since you had no power to anything. a bad ground would just make it not turn over but things would work lights would come on and be dimm. next time it happens see if your headlights come on or not since i believe they are direct to the battery regardless of the ignition switch

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So you think its the ignition switch. That would cause ahe interior lights and everything to not come on?
im not sure in a 99. hmmmm... no it would not. however the wires into the bat term can be loose so even if its tight on the post...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sorry you guys are all wrong. Went through this problem VERY recently on my 96. Replaced the switch, starter and solenoid. Hand made all battery cables and made no difference. Replaced the trans neutral switch which I believe was the problem. I also just put a map on which caused a miss every now and then. Basically I would say neutral switch.

What I found was every now and then the power wire to the solenoid on the starter would not be hot when the key was turned and when it was the car would start. Until I replaced the neutral switch I ran a jumper to the positive battery cable with a cheap foglight switch. When it didnt start my wife turned the key on the start position, popped the hood and flicked the toggle i made up and it would startup. I told her make sure the toggle only stays on when it turns over and starts then shut it off.

I believe the wire to the starter solenoid is green. Ignition switch waste of money and starter and probably cables. Transmission neutral switch. ( They can cause a lot of problems. Please pm me and keep me in the loop. Chris

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
mine starts without pushing in the clutch is it supposed to?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt its the neutral switch because I am getting no power. Its not just when i go to start it. I have no interior lights, no power anything. I'm thinking its my battery connection. I know the battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
934 Posts
On your '99, like mine...there is a short positive wire running from the battery to the PDC block behind the battery, pull that cover and there's a nut on the front of that PDC block. Make sure that is tight, because that if not, you will lose power to almost everything. Let us know...

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I know that my neutral switch is going out again because I just had it replaced about 4 years ago and now it is doing the exact same thing. When I turn the key on everything lights ups all my gauges work, when you try to start it absolutly nothing happens, but when I use a jumper to get around it, it fires every time. I don't have to use the jumper alot because alot of the times, you can start it in neutral and sometimes it starts in park. Was going to have it fixed but not yet as I have bigger problems to solve first. Hope this helps

·
Registered
89 Posts
If everything including lights is going dead on your XJ, then it is a battery problem. Follow your battery ground cable all the way down to where it is grounded to the side of the engine block. Check for any nicks, crimps or shorting. The area where this cable is grounded is often forgotten about. It is in a spot where grease, grime, heat, dirt, water, oil and everything else bad you can think of will drip on it. This grounding stud can actually become completely covered with greasey grime. On my son's 87 we found the cable badly frayed and hanging on by just a few strands. he was having battery charging/starting issues at the time. Cleaning this up and putting on new battery cables fixed the problem. I hope this helps. Check your positive battery cable for nick, crimps, shorts and bad fusable links, too.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I doubt its the neutral switch because I am getting no power. Its not just when i go to start it. I have no interior lights, no power anything. I'm thinking its my battery connection. I know the battery is fully charged.
Your line of thinking is correct. I had the same problem you are descibing, and I have a manual so obviously there is no neutral safety switch. I changed my battery cables and cleaned up the battery posts and have not had the problem again.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Neutral switch. Replaced all my cables and battery now that I think about it. Right on Melissa with the jumper. Post a pic of yourself ! Everybody loves a smokin Jeep girl. I also love chics that drive a stick, I mean a manual trans. I wish I could get my wife to drive stick. Kinda glad she doesnt, my mustang would always have bald tires.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Melissa, 85 pioneer with a 2.5 was my first Cherokee , God I loved her.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On your '99, like mine...there is a short positive wire running from the battery to the PDC block behind the battery, pull that cover and there's a nut on the front of that PDC block. Make sure that is tight, because that if not, you will lose power to almost everything. Let us know...
I did check this and the nut on there is tight. Its also clean and corrosion free.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Trooper, I would love to have a manual tranny again, they are the best, but I don't. Even my Dodge has a automatic tranny. Yes, I have a Dodge Diesel. I have to I haul cows and horses around. I will get on to posting a picture soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I finally got the problem fixed. At least temporarily. I hooked up my jumper box to it and something made a loud click and then I had power again. I think something may have been frozen up. I'm not sure. But the Jeep is good for now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dodge Diesel??? Where did you go wrong man? Please tell me you at least don't have the 5.9 in that thing. Because no offense the dodge 5.9 is the weakest diesel I've ever driven.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts