Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was adjusting the belt tension and power steering pulley to try to stop the belt from squeaking, and I started the jeep to test it, and it sounded weird when I started it. Then the engine sounded like it was dying, and the exhaust was coming out in bursts. Then the engine died. I tried starting it again, and it also died again. At first, I thought I ran out of gas, and put 2-3 more gallons in. However, it starts up halfway and immediately shuts of. I keep trying to start it while pressing the pedal, but it still doesn't start.

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
First thing to do is look for plugs you might have jarred loose. If you have a 4.0L all the sensors are on that side

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Also you should check your fuel pressure. It could be the fuel pump is not functioning right

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also you should check your fuel pressure. It could be the fuel pump is not functioning right
When I press a screwdriver to the pressure release valve, air hissed out. When I attempted to start again, nothing came out. Was I supposed to be pressing the valve down while the car is being started? Because I did not do that.

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Needless to say, if yoiu get air out of the fuel rail, not good. The best way is put a fuel gauge on it. turn the key on and see if it goes up to pressure. Then monitor the pressure especially when it dies. But I suspect your problem lies in the fuel delivery

·
Registered
31 Posts
This might be off the wall.....but have you reset the alarm system ?.... insert key into door and turn both ways, or use keyfob to unlock vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts